Is all flour created equal? I was just wondering if there really is a difference between all the brands of flour.......not types of flour like self-rising, all purpose, etc..... but brand of flour.
I personally prefer king arthur flour for all of my bakin/cooking needs. If I run out of their queen quinevere cake flour (or when I am making a test cake), I will use softasilk cake flour. Just my preference. HTH
The characteristics of flour can fluctuate wildly - even from one bag to another, from the same manufacturer. These are dependent on
1. type or variety of wheat used: red or white, hard or soft
2. the proportional blend of varieties: red to white, hard or soft
3. season that crop is grown: autum, winter/spring, summer
4. region where the crop is grown
5. the environment - the weather!!
6. any processing undertaken
7. the use of imported product
The trick is to find a brand that you are happy with [because they are consistently "the same"] ..