Changing Recipes For Customers

Decorating By kimcakes99 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 2:57am by scp1127

kimcakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimcakes99 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #1 of 7

What do you do if a customer ask you to change slightly a recipe. I was ask to make a lemon cake. I love lemon, so my lemon cake has a lot of lemon flavor. Most people who have request it, told me they love it.

So this customer tells me he wants the lemon cake,but with a little less of lemon flavor and more sugar he literally told me "just put less lemon flavor and add more sugar" icon_mad.gif I told him I couldn't do it.Because I don't like to try new recipes when I sell a cake. What do you think?

I just can't change my recipes every time a customer wants me to do it. I love my recipes the way they are. When I begin experimenting with a recipe I make it over and over again until it tastes perfect to me, my family and friends. Finally if the customers love the cake I keep the recipe.

Do I need to be more flexible? icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:29am
post #2 of 7

I would maybe not add to much lemon, but I wouldn't add more sugar. Flavorings you can add more or less of, but adding more sugar than what the recipe calls for might throw it off. I would try and explain this to them. I think that if they see your willing to accomadate as much as you can, and if it's possible, they will appreciate it.

That's just my opinion icon_smile.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

If you're using lemon zest, I would say use a little less. If it's a lemon zest, lemon extract, and or lemon simple syrup I would cut one out just to make it less lemony. I love lemon, so if I make lemon anything I better feel the pucker, otherwise why eat/drink it.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #4 of 7

Think about how many people will eat the altered recipe. They are your potential customers. If you feel like experimenting and you get a good one like he wants, you can offer it as a variation in your business. For example, I offer three very different yellow cakes.

I only bake fine ingredient scratch cakes. This week a lady asked if I could color my cupcake batter. This is for a Breast Cancer Fundraiser donation. I decided that pink batter would clash with my business image. So I am sticking with a raspberry french buttercream, yellow cake, pink liners, and a pink decorated cupcake tower.

So stick to what will be best for your company.

kimcakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimcakes99 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 7

I understand what you all are saying and some times I change the recipes just a little bit. But I feel I little frustrated when a customer comes and says take this ingredient out or add this ingredient. Some times they just want to change all the ingredients.

But thanks to you ,now I have an idea I"ll offer three choices in one flavor.
A little flavor ,normal flavor and a lot of flavor icon_lol.gif
thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

If its just a matter of putting a little less or more flavor in, I do it...I had someone ask me if I can put extra chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cake. No problem. Also I had someone who wanted extra spices in my pumpkin cake. Easy no problem...

I'd just add less lemon in the cake. That way it will taste sweeter.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #7 of 7

Just make sure you are happy with the changes and they reflect positively on your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%