Changing Recipes For Customers

Decorating By kimcakes99 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 2:57am by scp1127

kimcakes99 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #1 of 7

What do you do if a customer ask you to change slightly a recipe. I was ask to make a lemon cake. I love lemon, so my lemon cake has a lot of lemon flavor. Most people who have request it, told me they love it.

So this customer tells me he wants the lemon cake,but with a little less of lemon flavor and more sugar he literally told me "just put less lemon flavor and add more sugar" icon_mad.gif I told him I couldn't do it.Because I don't like to try new recipes when I sell a cake. What do you think?

I just can't change my recipes every time a customer wants me to do it. I love my recipes the way they are. When I begin experimenting with a recipe I make it over and over again until it tastes perfect to me, my family and friends. Finally if the customers love the cake I keep the recipe.

Do I need to be more flexible? icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
Normita Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:29am
post #2 of 7

I would maybe not add to much lemon, but I wouldn't add more sugar. Flavorings you can add more or less of, but adding more sugar than what the recipe calls for might throw it off. I would try and explain this to them. I think that if they see your willing to accomadate as much as you can, and if it's possible, they will appreciate it.

That's just my opinion icon_smile.gif

PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

If you're using lemon zest, I would say use a little less. If it's a lemon zest, lemon extract, and or lemon simple syrup I would cut one out just to make it less lemony. I love lemon, so if I make lemon anything I better feel the pucker, otherwise why eat/drink it.

scp1127 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #4 of 7

Think about how many people will eat the altered recipe. They are your potential customers. If you feel like experimenting and you get a good one like he wants, you can offer it as a variation in your business. For example, I offer three very different yellow cakes.

I only bake fine ingredient scratch cakes. This week a lady asked if I could color my cupcake batter. This is for a Breast Cancer Fundraiser donation. I decided that pink batter would clash with my business image. So I am sticking with a raspberry french buttercream, yellow cake, pink liners, and a pink decorated cupcake tower.

So stick to what will be best for your company.

kimcakes99 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 7

I understand what you all are saying and some times I change the recipes just a little bit. But I feel I little frustrated when a customer comes and says take this ingredient out or add this ingredient. Some times they just want to change all the ingredients.

But thanks to you ,now I have an idea I"ll offer three choices in one flavor.
A little flavor ,normal flavor and a lot of flavor icon_lol.gif
thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

If its just a matter of putting a little less or more flavor in, I do it...I had someone ask me if I can put extra chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cake. No problem. Also I had someone who wanted extra spices in my pumpkin cake. Easy no problem...

I'd just add less lemon in the cake. That way it will taste sweeter.

scp1127 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #7 of 7

Just make sure you are happy with the changes and they reflect positively on your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%