How To Find Cake Decorators!?

Decorating By Stefhanie Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 12:49am by SSGirly

Stefhanie Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone know where I can find a list of well-known or more notable cake shops/decorators etc.. across the country? Is there a list or site I should be looking up? I just google things and it seems to be a circle that leads me nowhere! Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefhanie

I'm trying to find places that do outstanding work, and might be looking for help, so I can further my career! I'd rather have someone teaching me and working with me,

If you're looking for someone to teach you, you should sign up for some classes. If you get a job or intern at a bakery, you'll learn a lot, but don't let them know that you want to further YOUR career... no employer wants to teach/train you to have you end up being their direct competition. Much luck in your search.

PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:49am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefhanie

I'm trying to find places that do outstanding work, and might be looking for help, so I can further my career! I'd rather have someone teaching me and working with me,

If you're looking for someone to teach you, you should sign up for some classes. If you get a job or intern at a bakery, you'll learn a lot, but don't let them know that you want to further YOUR career... no employer wants to teach/train you to have you end up being their direct competition. Much luck in your search.

Agreed. Also, cake shows or cake clubs in your area would be a helpful tool.

Stefhanie Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I actually went to culinary school at a community college, I just didn't get the amount of training i'd like to in cakes alone, since that's what I enjoy most! But I'll maybe look into further education classes or definitely cake shows! Never thought of that! Thanks icon_smile.gif

mombabytiger Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:23am
post #5 of 6

If you become FB friends with a well-known decorator, Colette Peters for example, FB will keep suggesting other cakers. I have "met" some lovely people this way! Some of them post tutorials on FB and everyone posts their work for comment and appreciation. It's nice to have people in your circle of friends who know what it means to have buttercream on the kitchen ceiling. LOL

SSGirly Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6

ok, but how about if you are looking for someone to make you a cake. i am finding that I am starting to get more critical when I look at prospective decorators for a cake that I am unable to do for one of my own events...
And you're right! Googling just sends you in circles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%