I have a few questions on cake dummies, I am opening my cake shop next month and I will have a display window.
1. Will the sun that shines in the display window where some cakes are sitting effect my frostings on the cake dummies?
2. What do I put on the dummy cakes before the buttercream and fondant, so i can easily clean them and reuse them?
3. Do I need to use buttercream under the fondant or is straight fondant ok?
4. Do I need to file down the edges of the round cakes so they are not so sharp and pierce the fondant? (thought I read that somewhere)
5. How long will they last before I have to redo them?
any help would be greatly appreciated
The sun and florescent lighting will, over time, fade the color of your dummy cake. For dummies you are covering with fondant, you should take an exacto knife to shave down the top corners of the styrofoam cakes and then sand them smooth. There is a good youtube video for this. You do not need to do this with the dummy cakes you are covering with buttercream only.
For dummies, you do not need to have buttercream beneath your fondant. I mist the styrofoam with a spray bottle of water. Your dummies will last forever and ever. (Someone on here once wrote that your dummy cake will last longer than all of us will! ) Good luck!