If My Buttercream Is Too "thick" ???

Baking By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm by KASCARLETT

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

I made and colored some buttercream last night and popped it in the frig, I have it on the counter to get back to room temp, but even last night I was thinking the one bowl I added coco powder to felt heavy and thick, can I lighten it up by putting it into the mixer and adding some more liquid?

Is there something else I should try if I fine I have a hard time spreading it on the cake.

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can add more liquid if it's too thick to spread. It needs to be a creamy consistency for icing the cake.

KASCARLETT Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 5

yep, just a little liquid a few drops at a time. If it gets too thin, just add a little more powdered sugar too it, but again, just a little at a time.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 5

thanks ladies... I had a devil of a time w/ the cake last night (some how I made fluffy batter and now the cake feels more like a angel food cake than a real cake.. ugh) so I am almost half prepared to have zero cake to give my son for his b-day... so I am stressing for the frosting.. I did not follow the frosting recipe to the T and I think I messed it up a bit too.. ugh..

*crossing fingers*

KASCARLETT Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 5

I think the icing will be fine. As long as it tastes good is all that matters. Who knows? You might have created a great recipe that people will rave over! lol That's how new recipes are born.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%