This Is A Good One--Customer Anecdote

Business By costumeczar Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm by mommachris

costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 22

I had a planner ask me if I'd do a dummy cake for a bride who was going to use cupcakes because they still wanted a real cake to cut. They wanted three tiers plus the top tier to be chocolate. They had a budget and I figured out what size tiers would work with that, and told the planner what I came up with. So she writes me back that it would be great to do that, but the client wanted to know if they could have a tasting for the flavor they wanted for the 5" top tier. HAHAHAHAHAHHA! Guess what I said?

She wrote back that she HAD to ask, and that was all she was going to say on the subject. So she probably tried to talk them out of asking but bridey wouldn't listen. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

21 replies
VentureSister Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 22

hahahaha
Gotta love it.

leily Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 22

thank you for the laugh icon_smile.gif and at least it sounds like the planner thought it was as ridiculous as we do.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 22

I don't understand why you didn't jump at the chance to provide them with a tasting. icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

I don't understand why you didn't jump at the chance to provide them with a tasting. icon_wink.gif

I did consider sending her a piece of styrofoam, but I didn't want to pay for the postage.

jenmat Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

I did consider sending her a piece of styrofoam, but I didn't want to pay for the postage.

icon_biggrin.gif You could include a "tasting pack" that would have a large serrated knife, and a LARGE bottle of water to wash it down! Yum yum, polystyrene!

At least you have yourself a good planner who knows how far she can push, and what protocol should be!

cownsj Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 22

You could have done just a simple 5" chocolate cake for them at the tasting. This way they could have brought their parents with them too.... lol

costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:11am
post #8 of 22

My goal now is to have the cake that I make for them taste much, much better than the cupcakes they buy for the guests. That way they'll regret not just getting a cake, heh heh heh! icon_twisted.gif

cownsj Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:37am
post #9 of 22

I LOVE the sheer evil genius of that plan....

jlynnw Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:56am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

My goal now is to have the cake that I make for them taste much, much better than the cupcakes they buy for the guests. That way they'll regret not just getting a cake, heh heh heh! icon_twisted.gif

That sounds about right with this generation of brides. I deserve the very best in the world and that is why I invited 500 of my nearest and dearest to give me the best. I appreciate you enough to give you a tasteless tacky cheapo depot cupcake while I enjoy my gourmet treat from a high end bakery. icon_mad.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:20am
post #11 of 22

Well, my BROTHER and his fiancee wanted me to make their wedding cake and asked for a few different 6-inch cakes to taste - at no charge. What makes it really ridiculous is that they've tasted 99.9% of the cakes I make! Geez, always nice to get taken advantage of!

indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:38am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbl3h3ad

Well, my BROTHER and his fiancee wanted me to make their wedding cake and asked for a few different 6-inch cakes to taste - at no charge. What makes it really ridiculous is that they've tasted 99.9% of the cakes I make! Geez, always nice to get taken advantage of!

doesn't it bug you to death when folks like this think they are entitled to the wedding planning "experience" which includes all the freebies?

Uh.....HELLO! Your SISTER is making your cake!! icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:

Hahahahaha! Thanks for giving me another laugh this morning! If my brother had said that to me I know that I wouldn't have been polite about my answer, either! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 22

And I forgot to say that I was already making the cake as a gift, of course.

JulieMN Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:

of course...that makes it even better!

cownsj Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:

So what's a little more cake for them to have a "cake tasting party". Oh, and don't forget, you have the rehearsal dinner to plan for too.

bakencake Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

lol!!! this made me laugh really hard!

costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

Of course! Because nothing says family love quite like expecting your siblings to give you stuff for free even when they've already offered to do something above and beyond for you.

mommachris Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:58am
post #19 of 22

You make them a cake and then they expect you to bring a wrapped present, too.

Hey, your present was wrapped...in buttercream.

icon_wink.gif

mommachris

Evoir Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:28am
post #20 of 22

Oh lord, what is it with brides these days???

I had one yesterday in a consultation who wanted to taste a bunch of specialty flavours I rarely make, but do offer. I compromised and gave her my regular samples, plus red velvet to try (made some this week especially because this bride was coming on the weekend). I had spoken to her on the phone a month ago and she had clearly told me the cake was for tea and coffee - not dessert. Yesterday, she flicks through her bits of post-it notes from our conversation and starts telling me "its for dessert....so long as we can stick to our original budget..."

Yes, sure, I'll wear the extra $300 in costs. No problem. Idiot.

imanah Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:06am
post #21 of 22

too funny

mommachris Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 22

Evoir, sure...you can just make the same cake for her, size of the serving she give out are at her discretion. If she runs out that's her fault for changing 'her' plan and not up-grading.

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%