Need Advice (Help) On Stacking Small Bday Cake...

Decorating By cakeitup99 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm by cashley

cakeitup99  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeitup99 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 3

I found a pic online of a dino cake which I will be replicating next week. My cousin (whom I'm making it for her kid) would like a double layer on top and a single layer on the bottom. (just like the photo) I will be using 8" for the double and 10" for the bottom round. http://michelescakemagic.com/images/IMG_0627.jpg

My questions are:

1) should i use a board between the double and the single layer or just stack all three layers?(like a triple layer cake)

2)If I stack all three layers with no board or support will it cave in?

3) If I need to put a board in between do I need to support it with straws?

If possible, i think it would be easiest for me to just stack all three like a triple layer cake but i don't know if it will hold up.(worried about the delivery too)

This will be my first shot at stacking(i've only ever made double layer cakes) so any advice will be helpful.

2 replies
 Cake_whiz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 3

I would suggest using board and straws when stacking all three layers. Personally, it gives me a sense of peace knowing that nothing is going to cave in or bulge and since you will be delivering, the more secure the layers are, the better.

cashley  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 3

Every 2 layers of cake need to be supported. A board alone will not support the cake and therefore will need supports under in like your straws. I would think if you stack 2 layers on top of the single you will have a disaster. The weight of the cakes will crush the bottom. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%