Need Advice (Help) On Stacking Small Bday Cake...

Decorating By cakeitup99 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm by cashley

cakeitup99 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 3

I found a pic online of a dino cake which I will be replicating next week. My cousin (whom I'm making it for her kid) would like a double layer on top and a single layer on the bottom. (just like the photo) I will be using 8" for the double and 10" for the bottom round. http://michelescakemagic.com/images/IMG_0627.jpg

My questions are:

1) should i use a board between the double and the single layer or just stack all three layers?(like a triple layer cake)

2)If I stack all three layers with no board or support will it cave in?

3) If I need to put a board in between do I need to support it with straws?

If possible, i think it would be easiest for me to just stack all three like a triple layer cake but i don't know if it will hold up.(worried about the delivery too)

This will be my first shot at stacking(i've only ever made double layer cakes) so any advice will be helpful.

2 replies
Cake_whiz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 3

I would suggest using board and straws when stacking all three layers. Personally, it gives me a sense of peace knowing that nothing is going to cave in or bulge and since you will be delivering, the more secure the layers are, the better.

cashley Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 3

Every 2 layers of cake need to be supported. A board alone will not support the cake and therefore will need supports under in like your straws. I would think if you stack 2 layers on top of the single you will have a disaster. The weight of the cakes will crush the bottom. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%