Buttercream Cracking?

Decorating By sugarrushcakes2 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm by sugarrushcakes2

sugarrushcakes2 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 6

I use Deb's Buttercream recipe and I have a problem with the second day after making frosting it cracks. I don't know how to solve this. Can someone please tell me how to prevent this from happening or why it happens?

5 replies
grandmomof1 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

Sometimes on buttercream if the cakeboard gives any at all this will cause cracking, especially true if you are using cardboard for your base. It shouldn't be cracking unless there is movement somewhere in the cake.

mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 6

I have the same problem sometimes. And like grandmomof1 said, it is due to movement. That is a crusting buttercream, so when it moves, it cracks. Think of spackle after it dries, any movement in the wall and it cracks.

sugarrushcakes2 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 6

What do you all recommend as a base that isn't too costly? I do use cardboard bases but would my cost go up a lot if I used masonite boards? My husband is a cabinet builder and I have really nice cake boards for weddings and for people I know will return them. icon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 6

I use the cardboard bases, I usually double them to make the base stronger, especially when I have a larger, heavier cake. I do have a 14" square foamboard that is doubled and I'll use that when I make a cake for those I know will return it. You can get foamboard at Hobby Lobby, I'm sure Michael's or any other craft store has them too. They come in different thicknesses.

sugarrushcakes2 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 6

I have a Hobby Lobby here in town. I"ll try the foamboard and doubling on the cardboard for the others. By the way, I love your quote! I get so nervous until the customer gets to see the cake, and then I'm relieved. I guess we are our own worst critics and it's okay to be nervous about our work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%