Help! Diamond/quilt Design On Buttercream!

Decorating By KakesbyK Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 5:38am by nikinoonie

KakesbyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyK Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 6

My client wants a cake that has a diamond design or quilted look to it but she doesnt want to use fondant! How can I do this design easily on buttercream icing?![/img]

5 replies
BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

Use a crusting buttercream and just let it crust. Once it has crusted you just use the diamond press or sheet just as you would on fondant.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 6

I agree, buy a diamond impression mat. That's what I do. Sugarshack has a buttercream DVD and she shows how to do the diamond impressions on that. You can get it at sugaredproductions.com. Good luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 6

i agree... crusting buttercream and then do it like you would on fondant.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 6

people usually use the diamond mat on b/c and the 3diamond cutter to impress into fondant. I learned the hard way. I used the 3 diamond cutter on b/c and had a hard time. Jennifer dontz has a dvd on using the diamond cutter on fondant. it is a great dvd.

nikinoonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinoonie Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:38am
post #6 of 6

You can always do it with a triangle. I use a triangle made from flixible plastic (used to make stencils). Let the buttercream crust in the fridge, then use the triangle to create score lines with the wilton tool (the one with the little wheel). I mark the triangle in 1" increments so it's easy to see through to the lines you've already scored in order to space the lines.

Then, you turn it over and go the other way to make the diamond pattern. It's a bit more time consuming, but very inexpensive. I didn't have time or money to buy the impression mat, and this worked so well that I still haven't bought one icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%