Boot Cake

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm by Niki11784

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for a 3d cake, based on this:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/94/94/ITEM/River-Road-Twin-Buckle-Engineer-Boots.aspx
For the seams, should I do seperate pieces of fondant, or use a veiner to make the seams on one piece? Also what would you recommend to use for an edible buckle?

5 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 6

On the buckle I would use gumpaste and use the edible silver.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 6

I personally think it would look nicer if they were seperate pieces and def use an edible buckle fondant will take longer to dry so prepare for that otherwise gumpaste with silver dust. HTH post pics this would make an awsome cake! icon_cool.gif

Niki11784 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 6

Ok, thanks guys! I'll let you know when its up!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I personally think it would look nicer if they were seperate pieces and def use an edible buckle fondant will take longer to dry so prepare for that otherwise gumpaste with silver dust. HTH post pics this would make an awsome cake! icon_cool.gif

Unless you are quite experienced with piecing fondant together, using separate pieces can be tricky, and get messy. I did one single layer on my hat cake (in photo album) and used the veining tool to create the seems and it turned out great! Much better than when I did separate pieces. With separate pieces, I had trouble making a clean, straight seam, and I even had a little BC gush out between the pieces while I was trying to smooth it! I HTH!

Niki11784 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 6

So I was thinking of covering the leg and some of the foot in one piece, and then putting a second piece over the foot to give it the illusion of being seperate pieces. About the buckle- The cake needs to be a Kosher, so its really hard to find silver luster dust that is kosher with the certification required. I don't think I have any choice but to use real buckles....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%