Need Help With Some Weird Colors!!

Decorating By homebaker12 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm by imagenthatnj

homebaker12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebaker12 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi a friend wants me to make her a topsy turvy 3 tiered cake......but she is requesting that the bottom layer to be red with black zebra stripes, she wants the second layer to be yellow with some other accent and the top layer to be purple with something on it. My question is what other colors/accents would you put with this......I am just having a tough time with the colors, to me they just don't go together.......please help!!!!

6 replies
joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 7

As long as all the colors are nice and bright, I think they would look amazing together! I would stick with using only those colors on the cake, and not add any others to the mix. Maybe do the middle tier pretty simple, maybe just one stripe around the middle (with an initial or monogram?), and the top tier can maybe have stars or polka dots. Good luck!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7

I would use black with the yellow and the purple to keep it tied in together, or maybe orange and yellow with a few black accents and purple and blue with black accents. What kind of look is she going for?

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 7

Orange (red and yellow make orange) would be a good accent color. Blue would be another one because blue and red make purple. (or) You could use purple accents on your yellow cake and yellow accents on your purple and even mix a small amount of black (small black circles maybe) on the top tier.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 7

I know sometimes it's hard to visualize the colors together. This is the closest I could find to something like that so that you could "see" how they might look. Sometimes it's better to pick up the crayons (if you don't want to do it on the computer) and just check it out yourself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlysbakery/4500592825/

homebaker12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebaker12 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you ladies so much!!! I think I will draw it out and try all of the ideas that you have given me, and if I make the colors really bright I think it will all be okay. Imagenthatnj.....is there a program that you can use on the computer that you can design your own cakes....that would be so much help....I am a very visual person icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 7

homebaker12, I'm a graphic designer, so I have Adobe Illustrator to draw.

It's pricey, though, and there's the learning curve. I think you can get a cheaper version if you get it through someone who is a student. There might also be easier programs for personal use that I just don't know about. Maybe ask around in the forums? I've even heard that some people use the Autocad program that costs thousands of dollars, so don't be surprised at the answers. I'm also curious about what other people use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%