Cream Cheese Icing Question

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm by divinecc

Darthburn Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 4

I know this has probably been asked to death but I have never seen a firm answer that I can remember.
Cream cheese icing... refridgerate or not? how long can it sit out? what if it's fondant covered? I thought that the PS sort of 'cooked' it when added... kind of like a catalyst?
Can someone set me straight please? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
divinecc Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 4

It depends on the recipe you have. If there is enough sugar ratio is high enough it will help preserve it sort of like buttercream. Sharon Z pointed me towards a shelf stable recipe she uses

Kathy Finholt's Crusting Cream Cheese Icing:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Kathy says:

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.
This makes a fairly stiff icing if you use 3-1/2 lb. Powdered sugar. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. Can stay out of fridge for several days. Freezes well.

I have covered this recipe with fondant and had no problems as well as on that had to be refrigerated with no problems. HTH!

Darthburn Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 4

Thank youso much!

That's really cool because that recipe is exactly the same as what I use!
I've covered it with fondant before just fine, but I was so paranoid to leave it out even just overnight. I'm icing and fondant covering a cake tonight that will be consumed tomorrow just over 24 hours after I make the icing. It'll be nice to relax and not worry about telling the person it HAS to be kept in the fridge!

Thank you again!

divinecc Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 4

Ur welcome hope everything works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%