Where Do I Start

Decorating By Aricandy Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 7:06am by CWR41

Aricandy Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:38am
post #1 of 11

Hi girls, I am new here, and totally clueless. I am a mom who loves to bake. And lately I have been reading about cakes and decoratng cakes.

My daughter' s birthday is in June an I will love to make a special cake for her. But there are so many kinds of decorations, fillings, frosting, glaze, fondant, that I really don't know what to do. What would taste better, what would look better and so on.

Also I want to start practicing by baking my hubby a cake for Valentine's day. Any advice would be much appreciated.

10 replies
Rainyvv Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:48am
post #2 of 11

I am a newbie as well. For cake my favorite is plain vanilla cake (3 layers) 1 filling cream cheese the other strawberry. Everyone likes it. For decoration look at my picutes the white, pink, and purple cake is the first one i did. Easy and looks good IMO

Sorelle Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:05am
post #3 of 11

There are several great recipes here on CC. It is good to start practicing now if you want a great looking cake in June. I offered to make any and everybody's birthday cake when I first started.

I've only been doing cakes for a little over a year. It's amazing how much one can learn in that amount of time. I googled a lot of recipes and tested them for taste and carvablity. Some cakes can't hold up to being carved and will just fall apart.

Keep baking and keep asking questions. Be sure to search the forums for for answers, most question have already been answered there.
Good Luck, and I'll be watching for your photos icon_smile.gif

andreamen1 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:07am
post #4 of 11

Welcome, you can start by taking a class at your local craft store either Michaels or Jo-Ann also you will be able to find all your basic supplies their. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

cake_architect Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:13am
post #5 of 11

hello! i'd agree with taking the basic classes, it'll really help you get on the right foot! try the white almond sour cream (wasc) cake from the recipes section, its not completely scratch nor just a simple box recipe and tastes delicious! you can add any filling,

i like to add strawberry preserves to vanilla buttercream- its tastes just like a strawberry milkshake! play with recipes, learn what you like =D oh, and if you try fondant start by covering a shorter layer (2"), then when you perfect that you can move to something taller. hth!

Darthburn Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 11

And guys.... guys bake too you know! Haha! icon_smile.gif

I'd have to agree with the WASC (white almond sour cream), it's amazing how simple a recipe it is and everyone seems to love it to death. CASC (chocolate almond sour cream) is another big hit. Very dense and moist cakes, and no one has to know they're not completely scratch.

Good luck, in no time at all you'll be posting and helping others! icon_smile.gif

breyes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with everyone else....search, explore, and try different things. I know for me I am currently exploring the different types of buttercreams. Instead of making a full batch, I have been making a fraction of the recipe so that I can taste it and then I pair it with a different cake base and see if I like its consistency, taste, etc.

Aricandy Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #8 of 11

Hello ladies, I really appreciate all your ideas. And a class sounds wonderful. I actually baked first cake today. It is a recipe from the book The cake bible. I did the all american chocolate butter cake with chocolate glaze and it went really good.

I am sooooo happy and motivated. Being a stay at home mom and a foreigner bringed a lot of stress to my life and I discovered that cooking and baking help me to keep my mind in balance.
thank you so much thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:13am
post #9 of 11

And gentlemen icon_wink.gif

Aricandy Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:32am
post #10 of 11

Uppsss I am so sorry, I am so used to my Babycenter forum where all the participants are women.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, specially cwr41 for the reminder.

CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:06am
post #11 of 11
Originally Posted by Darthburn

And guys.... guys bake too you know! Haha! icon_smile.gif

Darthburn mentioned it first thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%