Do You Charge For

Decorating By love2frost Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 2:23am by love2frost

love2frost Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:13am
post #1 of 8

cake separators? If you do what do you charge? Thanks!!

7 replies
jenmat Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:13am
post #2 of 8

Such as.....

cathyscakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #3 of 8

I use the sps system, and would calculate the price into the cake. They are pretty cheap, probably adding 20 dollars into the price. Then you don't have to worry about getting them returned.

sillywabbitz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 8

Are you talking about the SPS type stuff, or the fancy ones that people can see. If you are going to leave them on site then you should charge for them (cost and shipping). If you plan on getting them back, then take a deposit to be returned when the materials are returned.

love2frost Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #5 of 8

Sorry, guess I should have clarified! I meant the "fancy" ones that you see. I've really just done cakes that are stacked directly on top of each other. But I was wondering about the pillars or maybe the balls. I have a bride asking about roses between each tier of a cake and I was thinking about using either cake dummies with the gumpaste roses stuck in them or just Styrofoam with the roses stuck into it. But I wasn't sure if I should just eat the cost of the Styrofoam or if I should charge her. Thanks!!

melissad Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #6 of 8

I wouldn't eat the cost of the styrofoam. Even if you have it returned, it's going to have a limited usage due to the holes from poking all the flowers in. You should at least get a percentage of the cost back each time you use it so that you recoup the total cost by the time you have to replace them.

sillywabbitz Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 8

You should charge for all supplies that go into a cake. I don't think I would as for the separators back but if you cut the cake, You can probably take them back home. Styro is not cheap so at least recoup your out of pocket cost.

love2frost Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:23am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of your input! I try to have an all inclusive price so that I don't nickle and dime the brides. I very rarely use separators so I've never figured that into the cost. Guess I need to get a good idea of what the separators cost!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%