Duff's Fondant

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm by BlakesCakes

bcake1960 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 2:59am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone tried or know if you can add Tylose to Duff's fondant that you buy.. I have the Chocolate fondant and want to make a bow.. but dont know if you can add tylose to it. It seems like it is like a chocolate based fondant.. anyone know???
Thanks

7 replies
KJ62798 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:17am
post #2 of 8

The Duff chocolate fondant is really soft--you may need a lot of tylose to get it stiff enough to hold a bow shape.

I made a teddy bear for a baby shower cake from a mix of gumpaste & Duff chocolate fondant yesterday. It is reasonable firm today but not rock solid.

HTH
Kristy

bcake1960 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:22am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Kristie
I just checked the website listed on the container they said 2 teaspoons per lb.. but didn't guarantee the results as it is made to cover cakes not for molding.. Im going to give it a try..

bcake1960 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:10am
post #4 of 8

Fyi.. I did add the tylose and it did work fine for a small bow.. but took quit a while to dry.. will use again in a pinch...

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 8

Duff's fondant has many times the normal amount of fat in it that you'll find in regular fondants. It's rather like a candy melts base.

In all honesty, I think adding a lot of tylose to it--or any other gum to aid in drying--is pretty fruitless. If the item stiffens, it's most likely due to cool temps rather than the proper action of they tylose. If the item gets too warm, it will still droop.

Fat beats gum, every single time.

It really is a fondant best suited to flat applications.

Rae

TPACakeGirl Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 8

I'm not sure of this, but I did purchase the Duff stuff once and realized it's almost exactly the same as Fondarific. Perhaps they are the same? The only difference I saw is that the Duff is more expensive. The taste, texture and ingredients were the same. hmmmmm.....

Maydo Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

Can you actually eat Duff's fondant??- I can't eat Wilton's and just throught his would be eqaully as bad.

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 8

Duff's fondant available at Michaels is Fondarific, repackaged. It tastes fine.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%