Can You Freeze A Cake Already Decorated With Buttercream?

Decorating By georgiapuddinpie Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 11:25pm by vtcake

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 6

Hi
So, I told my cousin I would do his wedding cake and grooms cake. I am already nervous about the wedding cake because (1) its square and I have very limited icing experience with squares and (2) he lives 5 hours away. I would like to ice the cake and freeze it so it does not melt and sag in the Georgia heat on the way there. Will that work or will the icing mess up while thawing or will it taste wierd? Any pointers would be great. I could ice it up there, but I do not have anyone to babysit my kids while I go up a couple of days ahead, plus I am a little apprehensive about taking over someone's kitchen and refridgerator for 2 or 3 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 6

Hi, yes, watch some how to decorating on youtube and different sites that offer it. Watch designmeacake.com(edna) from this site. She shows how to ice and smooth cakes and stack. It is round, not sqauars. There are some square tutorials on youtube, etc. Yes, you can feeze your cakes already iced and decorated(stay away from bold color deorations. Put each tier in a box and carry them to your destination. Just plan carefully ahead for this. You should be ok. I would certainly do it.

angelmare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelmare Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

So then, can you freeze a cake covered in fondant?

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the feedback icer101! I feel so much better about it knowing that I can freeze the whole thing beforehand icon_smile.gif

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

If you plan of freezing fondant, or even because this is your first attempt at freezing...do a practice cake first. Do a couple! I know how nerve wracking doing a relative's wedding cake is, and it's best to practice practice practice. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%