Practical Cake (For School)

Decorating By cakegirl418 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 12:26am by cakegirl418

cakegirl418 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so i'm a sophomore at Johnson and Wales Universityicon_biggrin.gif...and i'm currently in the advanced cakes class. For my final "test" i guess you could say is i have to design a 2 tier (6" and 9", each 4 layers)...and i have some ideas but i just need help to figure out what sounds good. I'll say what i have so far...the over all theme is princess, so pink and girly..

For cake i wanted to do alternating layers of strawberry/vanilla & lemon/orange chiffon cake, but i don't know if that sounds a bit much.. of course it will be mostly strawberry, and then i was thinking more lemon for like a pink lemonade kinda deal. and im gonna add a bit of food color to deepen the color contrast.

It's going to be iced in swiss butter cream, and here's where the design comes in... i think i want white fondant on both tiers. The bottom tier i want to do a quilting effect with little pink flowers in some of the corners(got the inspiration from a picture on here). then the top tier i wanted to do either stripes in various widths and shades of pink. OR do cornelli lace OR do some piped scroll work. all in pink.

On the top im going to make a gum paste tiara, air brush it a pearl color. and have 6 roses(im thinking marzipan, if i have time then MAYBEEE pulled sugar roses.)..in the center of the tiara or working around the cake...then some pink cord at the bases.

now to me all of that just sounds too busy. i am keeping the tiara, quilting, and i HAVE to have 6 roses. and i want the cord...so i guess should i do anything with the top tier? or just leave it white?..

any idea's lol. keep in mind this is actually my first time using fondant icon_eek.gif , and most of the piping work. im going to attempt the tiara sometime this weekend so its dry and ready for next friday when i need it....any tips on what you think sounds good would be greatly appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

im trying to upload attachments and it won't work. icon_sad.gif

2 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 3

I suck at piping, it looks easy until you try it so if you don't have to I'd skip the piping. I think the flavors sound good as twosomes...vanilla and strawberry in one tier and lemon/orange in the other tier...all 4 in one layer sounds a bit much but I may have misunderstood you.

I love the quilting look on everything so that's a great . One thing that might be simple but lovely is a pink rose stencil effect on the top tier. If you can paint, you could just paint it. I don't consider stripes girly...funky yes but girly no...swirls, small polka dots (even swiss dots) will give you that dainty princess feel to go with the bottom tier. If you leave it plain white, I'd dust it with pearl sheen or luster dust so that it has some sparkle and personality. Good luck with your final. The attachment feature doesn't seem to work on CC anymore, so you have to post a link to the pic instead.

cakegirl418 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:26am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I suck at piping, it looks easy until you try it so if you don't have to I'd skip the piping. I think the flavors sound good as twosomes...vanilla and strawberry in one tier and lemon/orange in the other tier...all 4 in one layer sounds a bit much but I may have misunderstood you.

what i meant was its a vanilla/strawberry cake. and a lemon/orange cake. aka just 2 cakes. but i see how that was confusing. I think the van/straw would be more of a strawberry flavor. same with the lemon in the lemon/orange.

Another thing i forgot to mention was i might add lemon curd filling...but i feel like im just going over board with no flow to it. but idk i'll talk to my chef tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%