Dealing With A Super Cheap Friend Vent

Lounge By Brendabeeper Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm by ChunkkeeMunkkee

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 15

ok so my bargin loving friend has asked me to do a cake for a dual event at her home. Chinese New year and her sons birthday. I amdoing these from home on occasions but only do maybe 2 a month. I do sell from my home and I sell WAY under what I should since most of my sales are to co-workers and friends. I finally told everyone My MINIMUM order is $40.00 . ( I am not sure how many of them would give up a full day for me and to do it for less, I might as well just give them away. Well I felt funny asking for $ from her because we have been friends forever. We agreed on a design and I asked her what her budget is. I told her my minimum and she gasped. I told her I would try to do a little less and asked her what she could do. She says to keep it as cheap as I can, laughed and said even if you have to do cupcakes, and said well I will just have to Sh-- out the cash to pay of it. Then she has to say she doesnt really like the butter cream, and can I do a whipped frosting because she doesnt like butter cream ..( I am thinking. but dont have the nerve to say.... really ...just go to HY VEE !

Now I have know her forever, and Cheap cheap cheap is how she is, but she always wants the best for her cheap. .. UGH>!!!!!! I need a stronger backbone and need to learn to tell my friends ...this is the way it is... unless I offer it as a gift.

attaching copy of cake she is looking for

14 replies
KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 15

If she is going to be that cheap then tell her to go to the grocery store and pick up the already made cupcakes they sell. Its not worth your time or effort to not get paid...

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 15

My sister just asked me to do a cake for her Father in Law. I told her pay for supplies. She went to the store got strawberries and gave me $20. I made her a cigar for her dad (pics on my profile) with edible logo, air brushing fondant, etc. She picked it up and says: "Oh. It looks like a P*nis. It's OK". WHAT?!!! You got a custom cake that would have cost at least a hundred bucks and it's ok??!! Get outta here!

PEOPLE EXPECT YOU TO GIVE THEM THE WORLD FOR $1 WHEN YOU DO THIS FROM HOME. I AM SO LIVID RIGHT NOW THAT I CAN FEEL YOUR PAIN. YOU POP MY SISTER ON THE BACK OF HER HEAD AND I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR FRIEND... DEAL???

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 15

Tell her no. It's not worth your time and energy for cheap cheap. I am very proud that you set a minimum. I do cakes only for friends and family and really only for free (not legal here to sell) but they are all so grateful and usually they buy me dinner as a thank you later on. Don't do it for people who are ungrateful. Do it for people who appreciate your talent and more importantly your TIME.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:47am
post #5 of 15

thank you everyone, I know you all understand these frustrations, Chunkkeemunkkee Yes I will take care of the sister if you take care of my friend. icon_smile.gif Ps your cigar cake looks awesome.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:57am
post #6 of 15

My opinion is real friends would never ask me to work for free... I can offer - but they would never ask... and if I offered they at least try to pay cost.. even if I refuse to take it.

You have to set a precedent ... now! Not later. Make a price list for friends/family and stick to it. If they don't like the prices, just exactly what are they going to do about it? Go get the exact same cake somewhere else for less? More power to them!

A real friend would not get angry because I refuse to take money out of my family's hands to put a luxury item in theirs. End of story.

A very close friend of mine sells Arbonne. I do not want to join the club. So, I pay full retail and honestly would not have it any other way. Why should he sell to me for cost when he has actual work, time, training and money invested his business?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:16am
post #7 of 15

I think if someone is having pricing issues it is because of their own inability to speak up. Myself included. I used to be a lot worse about it then I am now though. I just can't afford to do them for free anymore. I tell them that if they will buy the ingredients I will do the cake as a gift (family), and I have a flat rate that I charge for friends (still only slightly over cost). I do it as a hobby and for the experience, so as long as it isn't costing me...I enjoy doing it, and I probably wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. Now I know what your thinking...If I'd charge for my cakes, I could have a little extra money. This is why I said "myself included". But it is still my own inability to not speak up. I DO NOT let people cost me money on cakes though, and I DO NOT let people degrade my work. They know up front that I am new to this, and they better be kind...or no more cake for them.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 15

One way I took care of this issue--

"Ummm I can help you make a cake for your event. Here's a list of ingredients--When you have them give me a call and I'll come over."

Get the phone call a couple days later..."Wow the ingredients added up to $70.00" I replied "Yep. Ok let's get this show on the road..first get your mixing bowl out...." While I sat at their counter drinking coffee. Porceeded to tell them step by step how to bake the cake. Then proceeded on to the icing (getting coffeed out here)

Then the torting and filling and on to the decorating. After 8 hours they had a cake icon_smile.gif

As I was leaving they said" Now I understand"

Gotta love it! icon_biggrin.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 15

Okay, my take on giving away cakes. If it s a gift from me then it is my design, all they get to decide on is flavor.

I f you are going to charge for ingredients only, remember that it cost to turn on your oven, by your pans, tips, lessons, loss of time with family and lots of stress for the PITA customer/relative.

If your friend wants cheap, then use her oven, her supplies, and her time to help clean or watch your family.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 15

For family and friends that I choose to give a discount to (and that's a very, very small list) I always start the conversation like this:

"Well, normally I would charge a stranger $xx for that cake. But I can give you the "family and friends" price of $XX. If that's in your budget, great! But I totally understand if you need to get your cake from Sam's club."

I typically knock 10-15% off the price of the cake. It makes them feel special that they are getting a discount but also gives them an out if it's still more than they want to spend.

If they ask if you can do it any cheaper, just smile politely and say "nope, sorry." Then STOP TALKING. Don't justify your price or try and negotiate. It makes it a lot harder for people to try and take advantage of you if you won't engage them in conversation.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 12:43am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkkeeMunkkee

My sister just asked me to do a cake for her Father in Law. I told her pay for supplies. She went to the store got strawberries and gave me $20. I made her a cigar for her dad (pics on my profile) with edible logo, air brushing fondant, etc. She picked it up and says: "Oh. It looks like a P*nis. It's OK". WHAT?!!! You got a custom cake that would have cost at least a hundred bucks and it's ok??!! Get outta here!

PEOPLE EXPECT YOU TO GIVE THEM THE WORLD FOR $1 WHEN YOU DO THIS FROM HOME. I AM SO LIVID RIGHT NOW THAT I CAN FEEL YOUR PAIN. YOU POP MY SISTER ON THE BACK OF HER HEAD AND I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR FRIEND... DEAL???

Your sister is crazy! Your cake clearly looks like a cigar - And a VERY nice one at that!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:56am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

If they ask if you can do it any cheaper, just smile politely and say "nope, sorry." Then STOP TALKING. Don't justify your price or try and negotiate.

Luv this advice every time I see it .... STOP TALKING. It sounds like you're apologizing for your pricing when you try to explain or justify it. I got my car repaired a couple of weeks ago. Cost me just under $500. The mechanic didn't explain the bill .... just handed it to me and waited for my check. If we walk into a beauty salon and ask "How much for a hair cut?", they'll tell us ..... they won't explain WHY it costs what it does or how long it will take, or the cost of the supplies they use. They just tell us the price. Period.

Stop. Talking. thumbs_up.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 15

My best friend graduated from law school in May and she told me about a course they took in which the professor told them about the effectiveness of silence. He said that silence makes people uncomfortable and people will start talking and offering things to avoid the silence. He suggested that they all try it themselves. One girl was unhappy with the quality of the satellite TV company she was using and called their customer service. She told them she was unhappy with the quality and just kept being silent when they offered a resolution that wasn't acceptable to her. She ended up getting a more expensive package for significantly less than she was paying before for the cheaper package. She said when she just didn't say a word the customer service rep just got uncomfortable and started offering better and better deals. My friend said she has started using the idea in everyday situations since then and it gets pretty good results. You don't have to try to argue or convince someone so less stress for you and better results.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

... she told me about a course they took in which the professor told them about the effectiveness of silence. He said that silence makes people uncomfortable and people will start talking and offering things to avoid the silence.

I heard this when i was in Junior high and i learned (ok taught myself) to be comfortable with silence. It is hilarious when i come upon someone like above and they dont' talk waiting for me to continue talking about what they want me to... .but they didn't ask me to talk about it so i don't.

It is interesting to do though as a little experiment with people you know and people you don't know.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 15

I love you all, I really really do.... You know the silence treatment works on the Hubby when he's in hot water. Going to start using that in every day more common situations.... Who woulda thunk it?? lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%