Chocolate Ganache Too Hard!

Baking By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 4:56am by yupi

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all, I just made some chocolate ganache last night and left it on the counter. Before I went to bed I checked it and it was really hard. I used 12 oz of chocolate to 1 cup whipping cream.

I plan on using this for a filling, may possibly whip it but I'm not sure. Is there a way to make it a whipping or spreadable consistency? Would I just need to add more cream and reheat?

3 replies
tastyart Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 4

That is what I would do. Heat it and add some more cream. My recipe calls for 10 oz. chocolate and 1 cup of cream.

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 4

What type of ganache are you making? Pouring ganache or setting ganache? Pouring ganache is often times 8oz of choc to 8 oz of cream. I agree with tastyart, just warm it up and add some more heated cream. Ganache is finicky with the weather as well as with the type of chocolate. (milk vs bitter vs white).

yupi Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:56am
post #4 of 4

I just had the same problem with my first chocolate ganache.. I was only experimenting for 1 layer, so I halved the recipe and used 2.5 oz bitter chocolate (I used 75%), 1 oz butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 6 oz heavy cream (this is where I made a mistake, it was supposed to be 3 oz cream, but I accidentally forgotten to half it, so I used 6 oz instead icon_redface.gif )..

I clean a bit for only 5 mins, and when I go back to the ganache, it's almost impossible to pour icon_eek.gif

Is it supposed to do that? It's my first ganache, so I'm not sure.. Is it because I used too much cream? Am I supposed to pour it right away after the chocolate melted? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%