Gelatin Bows: Do You Have To Have A Mold?

Decorating By CoveredInCake Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm by sweetflowers

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 4

I have a sil-mat. I don't have a mold (yet) but I want to see if I like this medium. Has anyone tried pouring of painting on a sil mat and seeing if you can just cut strips and make a bow?

I'm a small time caker, so I don't usually buy all the molds for a new medium until I know if I will like it. THANK YOU!! Any non-mold advice, tips or info would be appreaticated. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't used a silpat, but I have used a plain sheet (like just a plain acetate sheet) it always wrinkles up. No matter how thick or thin I paint it. Maybe someone else has had luck with it.

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for reponding! I was going to try wax paper but I think I'll skip that now. icon_smile.gif

I hope someone has tried the silicone mat. If not, I'll give it a go anyway. Knox isn't expensive so I gues if I ruin it, it's really not a big deal.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

Absolutely, go ahead and try it, that's how I do things. It's cheap, pretty quick time wise, and isn't permanent, nothing to lose. Good luck and let me know if it works since I haven't been able to get a flat sheet yet except with a textured mat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%