Too Crumbly Need Help

Baking By Kim123456789 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 12:19am by VaBelle

Kim123456789 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am practicing cakes for a stacked design and did the "amazing chocolate cake" recipe that was modified from the WASC cake. It came out tasting delicious and then I tried to cut it. It totally falls apart! Way too soft and crumbly. I am putting german chocolate filling in it, so it especially needs to be stable. Where can I find a good tasting stable chocolate cake recipe? They all sounds soft. I also need a white cake recipe that is stackable, I was going to try the WASC, but now I"m afraid that will be too crumbly too! Help!

4 replies
Snowmum Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 5

I usually use mud-cake recipes they are easy to make, and hold shape well, seldom crumbly. Easy to cut, and you can store them in the fridge.. icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 5

What are you using to cut the cake? Sometimes just having the right knife to cut it makes a world of difference.

As for stable for stacking, any cake can be stacked (even light and airy angel food cake) cake doesn't support the upper cake, your support system does (dowels and plates)

Kim123456789 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, where do I find a mud pie recipe? I thought that was an ice cream dessert?
Also, regarding the second reply, the cake I made was so unbelievably moist that it just crumbled into nothing...I know how to do the stacking part, but if I were to try and cut this cake into small pieces it would be a nightmare. Any more info would be helpful, especially a link to a specific recipe..thanks guys!

VaBelle Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 5

I use the WASC cake recipe all the time for chocolate and white cakes as well as many other flavors and have had great success with stacking. It's actually a denser cake, not quite as dense as pound cake, but pretty close.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%