I Need Some Suggestions For A Good Rolling Pin And Mat

Decorating By texastj Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 5:19am by texastj

texastj Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 4

I have finally hyped myself up to start working with fondant. Now I'm overwhelmed with the many options that are out there icon_eek.gif. I saw an Ateco silicone mat that has great reviews. I am just starting out and don't know if I really need a $40 mat just to make cupcake decorations, especially when this is just a hobby. So let me know what you think?

I also saw a very cool looking rolling pin. It's made by Joseph Joseph and its an adjustable rolling pin with discs. I have never really worked with a rolling pin before and thought this would be a great idea, especailly when I can be a bit anal when it comes to uniformity. The idea of rolling out fondant with the same thickness makes my heart sing icon_rolleyes.gif Can I use this wooden pin to work with fondant?

Any tips, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
from your fellow CC'er

3 replies
metria Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 4

when I first started working with fondant, i just used the back-side of my large cutting boards (which was smooth). nowadays i'll work on my silicon baking mats or on freezer paper taped to my kitchen table.

i gave up using the Wilton cutting wheel mat and vinyl from a fabric store. too cumbersome for my tastes!

FlourPots Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 4

The mat I use is from JoAnn Fabrics...it's green, 24" x 36".
I actually use the plain side, not the side with measurements meant for laying and cutting fabric.

I have the JosephJoseph rolling pin...I purchased it specifically for cookie dough, but haven't tried it yet.
It's REALLY well made, the disks are absolutely rigid.
For small cupcake toppers however, I think it's too big...also there might be a problem when using it with fondant...according to this:
http://www.karenscookies.net/Adjustable-Rolling-Pin_p_693.html

You might do better with the small Wilton rolling pin...it has rubber sizer rings that are not as rigid as Joseph's, but that work great.
I LOVE mine so much...I use it on every single cake I make.

texastj Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:19am
post #4 of 4

Thanx so much for your suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it! And the great tip about the rolling pin leaving an impression.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%