What Have You Finally Mastered?

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm by cake_architect

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 9

Seems like when I was starting out...smoothing buttercream was a difficult task for me. I just looked back at my cakes (and noticed a comment) and realized...oh my gosh...it isn't an issue anymore. When in the heck did that happen? Seriously, it use to be my least favorite thing now, I can do it in my sleep.

What have you mastered that use to trouble you?

8 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 9

i'm just a hobbyist, but making my own fondant and modeling chocolate! i've gotten to the point where i've tried several recipes and figured out what works best for me. now if i can just figure out what the heck i'm doing with gumpaste ...

SleeplessBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SleeplessBaker Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 9

I have only been doing this for about 7 months. But I would have to say making MMF. I am truely my own worst critic and I feel I need much improvment in many areas before I feel that I am close to mastering them.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't say I've 'mastered' it, but I can see my fondant modelling improving. I still find human figures nearly impossible to get just right, but critters are getting easier. (I still couldnt pipe a basic shell border to save myself though! LOL Im a lost cause in the piping area!)

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 9

I have mastered the skill of not getting so overwhelmed. Sometimes it still happens, but for the most part my anxiety is gone. Often on days that I would need to pick up supplies to do a cake and/or days that I was actually creating a cake, I would wake up in the wee hours of the day. I would lay there in bed and think it through from A to Z. Now, I will add that I work fulltime and do cakes in the evenings and on weekends. Therefore, waking at 430 am, work at 8 - off at 5 - starting cake at 6 and hopefully bed by 10 makes for a really long day.

As far as a skill "mastered" on my creations, well, I have the wilton leveler (that I hate) down pat - achieving a level cake - check, smoothing (on round cakes) - check. But lets not speak about square cakes - they hate me, and borders, well lets just say I need a tutor. I have a friend that teaches at a local college coming to my home soon so that she can teach me. My hands and/or wrist much have an issue cause it just doesnt worky for me. LOL!!!! icon_lol.gif

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 9

Making Fondant!!! using the Cricut Cake with Modeling Chocolate, covering cakes with fondant.... LOVE IT!!! so much easier now that i know what i'm doing!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 9

I have my fondant down to a tee, square edges and all. But I HATE icing in buttercream. I just finished one today and I am not too happy with it. I put like 4 coats on that thing. I guess I'm just used the fondant looking so nice and clean!! Better practice some more...

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i'm just a hobbyist, but making my own fondant and modeling chocolate! i've gotten to the point where i've tried several recipes and figured out what works best for me. now if i can just figure out what the heck i'm doing with gumpaste ...

i just love nicholas lodge's gumpaste recipe! i've never had it fail and it doesn't call for uncommon ingredients. maybe it'll work for you too!

http://www.sugarXcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm (delete X when browsing)
GUMPASTE RECIPE USING TYLOSE (As Nicholas Lodge makes it)
Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum
tragicanth. The advantage of the tylose is that the paste is less expensive,
easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color.
The following recipe will make approx. 2 pounds of gumpaste.
INGREDIENTS:
4 large egg whites
2 lb. bag of 10X powdered sugar
12 level teaspoons Tylose (#TP100)
4 teaspoons shortening (Crisco)
1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl, fitted with the flat paddle.
2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.
3. Reserve 2/3 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.
4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed, slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.
5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about two minutes. During this time measure the tylose in to a small container.
6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft-peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste
color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color).
7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the Tylose in over a 5 second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few
seconds. (This will thicken the mixture).
8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkles with the reserved 2/3 cup powdered sugar. Place the shortening on
your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. Usually I check by pinching with my fingers and they
should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip lock bag, then place the bagged pasted dough in a second bag and seal well.
9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before use to mature the paste.
10. Before use, remove from the refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger
and knead this into the paste before using.
11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigerator for approx. 6
months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to zip lock closed.
If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer. I have kept the paste in the freezer for up to 3 years with no problems.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 9

oh and i've gotten really good at using my cricut cake! and covering my cakes in fondant to get a smooth finish with (semi)sharp edges =D its so exciting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%