First Zebra Cake.......

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 4:52pm by Tclanton

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 12

Doing the stripes tonight - any tips or suggestions from the pros?

TIA, T

11 replies
mapetite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mapetite Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 12

The best advise I can give you is it's not suppose to be perfect and make sure you put enough strips.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 12

Here you go:

http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page47.htm

I've watched this video tutorial and it's so easy and straight forward!!

Hope it helps.

Suzanne x

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 12

Once you put the stripes down the black will probably run onto the white, so try not to move them too much. I have one in my photos you can take a look at. The zebra cake was my second cake ever, so I don't think the difficulty level is too tough...

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 12

I just did my first zebra cake a few weeks ago. I was surprised how easy it was.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 12

I haven,t posted pic yet, but i did this on b/c iced cake 2 wks. ago. I used duff's black fondant. I rolled it out on freezer paper(shiny side), cut the stipes, let it set up for a couple of minutes and then applied to b/c icing. Never, did it bleed on cake. You didn,t say if your cake is fondant or b/c iced. It should do great. I have read, if you color your own fondant, it could bleed, so that is why i went and bought duff's black fondant. It smelled great and tasted great. His red fondant also. hth

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 12

mine was fondant on fondant. I think it was the water that I used to adhere one to the other that was the cause of the bleeding. it wasn't a HUGE problem, just something to be aware of for a first timer.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 12

Stripes should be random but have some conformity to each other, not just a bunch of straight stripes going up and down or side to side on the cake. I have attached a picture of my first zebra cake. It was fondant on fondant. http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1696178
I am making one this week fondant on buttercream. Just be sure where you are going to place to stripes because it will leave some black residue behind on your cake if you have to move it.

Tclanton Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 12

It will be black fondant on BC. I have looked at a video on you tube and she also did random stripes, but she started the whole design with four almost straight sided strips. Not sure I understand why.

Cant wait to get it finished - my hot pink BC turned out awesome and the loops for the bow are drying at home.

Should be fun - thanks for all of your help and quick response.

icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 12

I did this one a while back. Just make sure you roll your black fondant really thin (I actually use 50/50 for this because it's easier to get it thinner). I rolled the black out on a crisco-greased surface, turned the piece over and used a scalpel to create the stripes randomly. Then start placing them on with very little water - as others have pointed out, if you use too much it can squeeze out the sides of the stripes and you get grey around the edge of the black!

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #11 of 12

In my opinion, several of the zebra stripe cakes don't have enough stripes. My best advice is to google images: Zebra Pattern and follow that the best you can.

They are free form, there are a lot of stripes, some flow into eachother. Once they are on the white you have to just accept it because the black leaves the color behind and it's hard to get off. That part is hard for me... just dealing with where they landed.... You can totally do it. icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 12

Loved doing this cake - pics are in profile. Client loved it and she was off with a smile!! Thanks again everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%