For Those Of You Who Assemble On Site...

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 10:51pm by sillywabbitz

jewels710 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

Do you do all of your boarder/piping on site then as well?
How do I judge how much time to set up and complete the cake on site then?

Maybe this sounds like a silly question, not sure if it's coming across like it is in my head. Anyhow, thanks in advance!

4 replies
cakedout Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

I used to do a lot of my set-up and final borders on site. Mainly because I delivered by myself, so I couldn't carry heavy tiered cakes. And also because I lived on a mountain and had several bad experiences trying to drive down the hills with a put-together cake! icon_cry.gif

I usually figured 30-45 minutes for set-up of a rather simple "drop and run" design if I didn't have to arrange flowers; an hour or more for larger cakes or ones requiring lots of flower arrangements. Remember to figure time for dragging the cakes from your vehicle into the venue!

I always tried to have my set-up done by at least 1-2 hours prior to the reception start time.

HTH

VanillaCoke Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 5

I've always set up on site. I assemble the cake the day before to make sure all is structurally sound, and then I box up each tier individually. At the reception site I pipe borders, but that's it. I guess it depends on how quick you are....It doesn't take me any more than a half hour for a typical 3 tier cake. I usually make sure I'm done an hour or so before the reception starts. To me it's way too risky to try to transport a tiered cake assembled. I've never had a cake mishap in transit, and I hope to keep it that way icon_smile.gif

dukeswalker Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke

I've always set up on site. I assemble the cake the day before to make sure all is structurally sound, and then I box up each tier individually. At the reception site I pipe borders, but that's it. I guess it depends on how quick you are....It doesn't take me any more than a half hour for a typical 3 tier cake. I usually make sure I'm done an hour or so before the reception starts. To me it's way too risky to try to transport a tiered cake assembled. I've never had a cake mishap in transit, and I hope to keep it that way icon_smile.gif

I agree - the part that makes my nerves jump is the transport! I know others like to have EVERYTHING done before delivery but if it is a tiered cake? I'll stack on site for sure. THe only thing I usually have left to do are the borders - which I can just whiz through. I try to arrive 1 hour (or more before the party).

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 5

I do both, I usually stack 2 tiers and transport those (SPS) and the other tier or tiers separate. Mine is as much about weight as stability. I would kill for a cake safe but as a hobbyist there is NO way for me to justify the price but man do I want one. If I ever go into business, that will be my first purchase.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%