Stumped...need Advice

Decorating By saberger Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 9:59pm by peetz

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:00am
post #31 of 51

She is located in poughkeepsie, ny.

I am i the process of sending her an email. I am going to try to post a copy of the cake she emailed me. I had contacted the original designer since I know who she is and I was feeling rather uncomfortable. She said she was fine with my replicating her design.

Anyway, looking at this design....it would run between $500 - $700 JUST for the orchids! I totaled 48 orchids on this. That doesn't include the piping detail. So I figured I would let her know that based on the design alone, she would be totaling @ $1000. That does NOT include cake flavors. If she is still interested in this design, then please verify the flavors and which tier she would want them for. And by the way, I noticed that you are a baker as well. Is this for your own wedding or do you need assistance in pricing?

Thoughts?

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:01am
post #32 of 51

I am i the process of sending her an email. I am going to try to post a copy of the cake she emailed me. I had contacted the original designer since I know who she is and I was feeling rather uncomfortable. She said she was fine with my replicating her design.

Anyway, looking at this design....it would run between $500 - $700 JUST for the orchids! I totaled 48 orchids on this. That doesn't include the piping detail. So I figured I would let her know that based on the design alone, she would be totaling @ $1000. That does NOT include cake flavors. If she is still interested in this design, then please verify the flavors and which tier she would want them for. And by the way, I noticed that you are a baker as well. Is this for your own wedding or do you need assistance in pricing?

Thoughts?

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #33 of 51

forgot the attachment...sorry

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #34 of 51

Thoughts?

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:04am
post #35 of 51

post #36 of 51

post #37 of 51

Thoughts?

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #38 of 51

Don't know why it repeated the post so many times AND didn't upload the pic!

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:09am
post #39 of 51

why isn't it posting?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:11am
post #40 of 51

Be careful. There are so many cake scams out there where the "client" accommodates to your schedule...and you know the rest. I hope she's not trying that.

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #41 of 51

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1930496

I uploaded it to my gallery since i don't know how to get it here

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #42 of 51

Run run run run run.

This lady smells so fishy that she should be surrounded by cats.

I think your response is a good one, I like that you called her on it with asking if she is needing help with pricing HER cakes. She MUST have cut and paste those flavors from a gourmet site somewhere, as those aren't something she just pulled out of thin air. And if the cassata cake has strawberries in it, then she why does she need a vodka strawberry cake too? I'm sorry, you are wasting your valuable time on someone who is a few pans short of a full oven.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:30am
post #43 of 51

She wants you to do Margaret Braun's cake?????

Replace the flowers with marzipan fruits, and that's her cake: page 138 in the book Cakewalk. I just flipped through the book last night so I recognized it right away.

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:55am
post #44 of 51

I didn't realize it was hers! I contacted the person that designed the cake she sent me the picture of.

Okay...here is what I came up with and sent her:

First, I would like to congratulate you on your engagement! As I previously mentioned, I would not be available for the date of April 10th. I have looked over the design and your flavors. Based on the design alone, not including any cake, it would start at approximately $1000. If you are still interested in this design, then please verify the flavors and which tier you would want them for. I am unclear as to what you are requesting for the strawberry flavors. Could you please clarify it for me? Additionally, I will not use Cassata cakes for tiered cakes due to the instability. For exotic and unusual flavors, I do require a tasting in order to be sure that you are satisfied with the flavors that you are requesting, which would cost $125. This would be applied toward the cost of your cake. With your wedding date fast approaching, it would be best to schedule that as early as possible.

May I ask who recommend you to contact me? The cake design you chose is a beautiful one and I am thankful to have received permission from the original designer to replicate it for you."

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:23am
post #45 of 51

If she's for real and goes through with it, give her a Margaret Braun price. LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:34am
post #46 of 51

Honestly...if you don't offer it, you don't offer it...ya know?

I mean, you can't go into Olive Garden and ask for a burrito....

I probably would not do it if I were uncomfortable with the recipes. I consider myself a "homestyle" baker (as far as flavor)...with cakes that taste like a good, moist, gramma-style dessert flavor...I don't consider myself "gourmet" and would not want to take on a fancy french style gourmet cake for a customer.

Good luck either way!

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #47 of 51

the cassata cake was on last season of cake boss, maybe she's made thses flavors and they tasted bad, but eveyone says "these cakes are so yummy" and she just wants to see if someone else can make and give her a recipie

saberger Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #48 of 51

Well, I sent her the email. I haven't heard back from her except for the EXACT same voicemail that she had left yesterday. I am not calling back. I sent the email and I think I will leave it at that. I'll be curious to see if she'll call again tomorrow :0

Thanks everyone for your support on this! I really appreciate it. I have so many other things going on that I need to concentrate on. I'll let you know if anything new develops.

AmyCozze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCozze Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #49 of 51

this exact woman contacted me, poughkeepsie, ny , gourmet flavors, and all. I just started a similar thread because it didn't seem right, someone sent me the link to this thread and it sealed the deal.

So she just stopped responding to you? I just sent her an email requesting a meeting in person and a 50% deposit paid in cash....guess I wont be hearing from her again either.....

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm
post #50 of 51

Yep... I was just thinking that this has got to be the same person your thread was about AmyCozze... the SCAM warning siren should start ringing any moment...

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 9:59pm
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Okay...so get this...I googled her name and her phone #. This is what came up on a site for her phone #:

"This is a Home bakery.I cater and make delicious baked products.All products much be paid in full at time of ordering.If you have any special request please fell free to ask.We do vegan products too.Gluten free products are done on request.We take check money order or cash.We do not except credit cards at this time."

So is she pricing around? Wanting someone else to do the wedding cake or what?

Sounds like she took an order for these fancy cakes and can't fill it. Now she is getting you to do it and will pass it off as hers. that was just my gut thought.
Either way I would run the other way and not look back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%