Base Colour For Flowers On White Wedding Cake.

Decorating By Ninky Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 3:45am by Ninky

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:46am
post #1 of 8

Hi, hope someone can help a newbie. I am having a go at making and decorating my daughters wedding cake. Three round tiers iced in white. Each cake is going to have a bunch of gum paste flowers. I thought I should make the bottoms tier flowers larger and get smaller on the top. I have no idea where to start with the colours of the flowers. She wants a traditional cake, her dress is white and the bridesmaids are in berry. If I do most of the flowers in white, would that be too stark? white on white, I have thought about doing the bulk in ivory with a touch of pink and berry in the filler flowers, any ideas would be most welcome.
Ninky icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:58am
post #2 of 8

i think white on white looks lovely. if you wanted colour though, i think either some small berry colour flowers bunched in would look good, otherwise dust the middle of the flowers in berry?

MartiW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartiW Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 8

I love white on white, you could dust them with pearl dust, and/or PME's luster dust, and as noahsmummy suggested dust the middle of some with berry and make small flowers in the berry color. Be sure and post pictures its sure to be pretty

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 8

White on white looks really classy IMO. (Or cream, ivory, off white)

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 8

I did a white on white it is in my pictures and everyone loved it. It looks very classy.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that white on white is beautiful. I have only done one wedding cake and the colors were yellow roses ivory cake (in my pics) but I wanted to share what I learned regarding the topper. My friend wanted roses, so I made roses (even made a couple smaller and a couple of larger and a couple of buds. I did not make ANY filler flowers. When you do toppers or sprays you really need to make the smaller filler flowers to fill in the gaps and hid the base etc. Just my 2 cents so you don't get caught short handed like me. It's always a good idea to browser through the galleries here and see what color combos and styles you like. Are you doing a cascade of flowers down the cake, are you going to place them at the base of each tier etc...and as everyone says but seriously do...make extras because they do break. Best of luck. I think it's awesome you're making your daughters cake.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 8

White on white is by far may favourite! I would either go with white or berry coloured flowers. I have a white orchid on white fondant cake in my photos if you want to see a sample

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #8 of 8

Gee thanks all, I am using the victorian garden three tier stand and thought I would make a round old world spray and place in the middle of each cake, thought I MAY try a lace (sugar veil) frill around the edge of each cake too. Thanks for the help over the filler flowers, never tried anything this important before. The wedding has a historic theme and I am "trying" to produce a cake that would be in keeping with something that my great grandmother would have had. I will post photos!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%