Mini Cakes In A Week! Fondant Over Whipped Cream?? Help!

Decorating By micaelasmami Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 1:25pm by Jennifer353

micaelasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micaelasmami Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 15

Hi, I have someone who wants 50 mini cakes for a birthday party she is throwing in a week. she wants dulce de leche cakes - but I am wondering if they can be covered in fondant because they are covered in whipped cream...
Btw- I have NEVER done mini cakes before. Any tips, suggestions, comments are WELCOME!!!! thanks! icon_eek.gif

14 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:35am
post #2 of 15

Too much water & air in whipped cream and lots of liquid in dulce de leche...I see deflated icing & liquified fondant.

Sorry.
Rae

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 15

Mini cakes are a pain to do so make sure you charge well for them!! Make sure the cakes are chilled well before icing and if you didn't have patience before you started... well let's just say that you'll either learn it or you will say that you will never do them again. icon_smile.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:12am
post #4 of 15

The fondat will not hold up under the whipped cream, I tried it once whe I first stated baking and all my fondant flowers melted and got sticky gooo and ran to the bottom of my cake icon_sad.gif it was very sad and I had to redo my cake. Luckily it was only one cake! Mini cakes would scare me! good luck.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:21am
post #5 of 15

mini cakes are a lot of work...and I believe a lot of people don't charge accordingly because they think "oh, their smaller". what everyone else has said...whipped cream is too unstable to use under fondant icon_sad.gif
sorry

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:38am
post #6 of 15

If you have to have the whipped cream, inject it into the cakes as filling and ice the cakes with buttercresm or ganache. My vote is ganache because you can pour it over, let it set and then cover with fondant. Good luck.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:49am
post #7 of 15

Yep, no whipped cream under fondant. I learned that the hard way. And good luck with the mini cakes. Maybe try a poured fondant rather than rolled.

micaelasmami Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:17am
post #8 of 15

oh wow! you guys are really scaring me now!!! eeek!

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:24am
post #9 of 15

No intent to scare, just to educate:

No, you can't cover whipped cream icing with fondant.

Rae

micaelasmami Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:53am
post #10 of 15

Thank you everyone for your help. I am going to try injecting my whipped cream and putting the caramel on top and then using pourable fondant...I have heard that I should brush a glaze on the sides of my cakes before using the pourable fondant as well...Please let me know if this sounds right to you all. I am trying to teach myself about cake and this website has really been a valuable tool. You guys are so knowledgeable. Thank you for looking and posting.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:48am
post #11 of 15

Well.....if it's real whipped cream, the cakes will require refrigeration. This doesn't work well with poured fondant and moist(ened) cake, as the fondant liquifies, seeps, weeps, and puddles.

And, in my mind, I somewhat doubt that poured fondant will adhere to or cover caramel very well.

I can see cake layered with caramel filling and covered in poured fondant working nicely (but keep in mind that poured fondant is.....tricky..... to get neat and even), but I just don't see a place for whipped cream in this mix at all. A simple syrup brushed on the surfaces of the cake can help with poured fondant, but it can't make the cake too moist or it hurts the process.

Sometimes, what a person wants is not what a decorator can do.......it's just a fact of life.

Good luck.
Rae

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:39am
post #12 of 15

i've made a few mini cakes and trust me, i'd rather make 100 8" round than 100 4" rounds! practice practice practice otherwise you'll end up with a headache =/ i wish you all the best though!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:42am
post #13 of 15

Just following up to see how things went. How did it go? What was your final decorating process?

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:44am
post #14 of 15

I bake for fun. A few months ago, I made approx. 40 - 2" cakes. It was my first time. The first few were time consuming, but I got in a groove and the rest went much quicker. They are incredibly cute, I sure can understand why they are popular.

I crumb coated them in the morning and covered them in fondant at night. The flowers, circles and bows I used on them were made ahead of time. I used the Silverwood round pans.

Have fun,

Vonda

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 15

I dont know if this is too late but.... does she definately want fondant on them? Wouldn't the caramel and whipped cream be enough and possibly put a chocolate decoration on top?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%