Ashley0415 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #1 of

I saw a pic on here a couple of weeks ago that had a really think cake base that was covered in like a silky material.. but it was hollow and illuminated underneath... if that makes sense. I am going to try and do this for a wedding cake I have coming up.. but I cant seem to find the pic. Anyone who knows what Im talking about that could give me an idea of how this is done??

Thanks in advance!!
icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
cocobaby Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:23am
post #2 of

I have one in my email files. Was the fabric gathered around the base? I can email you what I have, it also has the instructions.

southerncross Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #3 of

I was hoping to make the illuminated cake base as well for a four tiered wedding cake but have concerns as to whether the 5" cake dummy (I'm assuming that's what the instructions are referencing) is sufficient to hold the weight of a cake that tall...Has anyone had any actual experience with the base?

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:51am
post #4 of

Coco, that sounds exactly like the one I was thinking!

That would be great if you could send me the info.

Thanks so much!

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:52am
post #5 of

Sharon, sorry I cant help with that one.. Im definitely not one to be asking advice. I still have A LOT to learn myself

Karen421 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:17am
post #6 of

I am doing an illuminated cake base for my DD's wedding cake, and her cake is 5 tiers. I am using a large piece of tempered safety glass, that will be sitting on a 3 1/2' tall glass block. The lights will be in the glass block. (At least that's the plan!) icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:55am
post #7 of

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559342164XIfVAw

This person is also a member on here, but I forget her username.

cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:02am
post #8 of

Hmm, maybe I was wrong. Maybe it's this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-icing-on-the-cake/3068807962/in/set-72157604265771389/

southerncross Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:51am
post #9 of

This is the illuminated base I was thinking about: http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1665679
My bride feel in love with the soft look of it...like the cake is floating on a cloud. I'm thinking about using battery operated tiny LED lights (I got a few sets from Save-On-Crafts) ...they don't heat up and I don't have to have an electrical cord to fret about. But now I'm intrigued with the glass block idea as well. Thanks Karen for the great idea.

cakesnglass Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:56am

The battery operated led light r nice, but double check them under the material. I used them for my snowflake cake (also purchased from save-on-crafts) wish they would have been brighter>>good luck base is lovely idea. Tulle is another great material for this type of project.

cocobaby Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:59pm

Ashley - the link listed in Sharon's post is the file I have. Thanks Sharon.

cakeladyatLA Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm

nice pics

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%