Is There Any Reason Why I Shouldn't . . .

Decorating By mom2rascals Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 5:02am by sccandwbfan

mom2rascals Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:06am
post #1 of 18

I have to make a cake (last minute) and am pressed for time as this is an extremely busy time at work for me. Could you please give me your advice . . . I was wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't use store bought raspberry jam or jelly as a filling for a lemon cake?

Any advice or past experiences you could have would be very helpful. Thanks so much.

17 replies
bellaudreycakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:10am
post #2 of 18

I always use jams from the store and people rave about my fillings, I put a very thin layer of BC frosting on the bottom and tops of the layers so the jam doesn't soak into the cake, HTH.

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:15am
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilt1

I always use jams from the store and people rave about my fillings, I put a very thin layer of BC frosting on the bottom and tops of the layers so the jam doesn't soak into the cake, HTH.

Me, too! I really like the Dickinson Seedless Raspberry Preserves for a filling--yummmm!

Rae

KakeMistress Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:23am
post #4 of 18

LOL I actually use the same thing for my raspberry. In the baking isle you can buy canned cherry filling and pretty much anything else you could fill your cakes with and they would be amazing. good luck

jessmeyer Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:28am
post #5 of 18

I always use store bought jam too! I usually mix it wil a small amount of buttercream to thicken it up a little bit. My customers LOVE IT!

mom2rascals Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:31am
post #6 of 18

Wouldn't a cherry filling be too runny? I'm assuming you mean pie filling, right?

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:33am
post #7 of 18

I mix it with my buttercream as well and call it straweberry cream or raspberry cream. I like the filling to be a little sturdier than straight jam but that's just my personal preference. I read on here somewhere that some people disolve a small box of jello in the same flavor as the jam and that helps stabilize it as well but as you can see many people use straight jam.

mom2rascals Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:34am
post #8 of 18

here's a dumb question . . . do you have to do anything to the jam before you use it (or can you just use it from the jar?) I've never heard of adding buttercream to it before . . . is that what everyone does?

KakeMistress Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:38am
post #9 of 18

yes the pie fillings and I have just added the jam straight from the jar but I do want to try the buttercream trick now LOL.

crp7 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:39am
post #10 of 18

I usually add a little buttercream to the jam and mix it together. This makes it thicker and less likely to squish out between the layers. Be sure to put a good dam around the edge of the bottom layer and then spread the filling in the middle.

mom2rascals Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:00am
post #11 of 18

Thanks very much for your advice. It will be very helpful and will shurely keep me from getting stressed out!

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #12 of 18

I usually heat my jam a bit so that it's easier to mix into my buttercream, otherwise it's a little clumpy

mom2rascals Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:47am
post #13 of 18

When adding buttercream . . . How much is "a little" buttercream?

artscallion Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #14 of 18

I like to mix a little buttercream into jarred lemon curd. Makes it like a really tart lemony creamy thing, almost like key lime pie, but lemon.

artscallion Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:00am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rascals

When adding buttercream . . . How much is "a little" buttercream?

There's no rule. Just start with a Tablespoonful, mix it in, taste and keep adding until you get the taste and texture you like. It's really up to your personal preference.

infinitsky Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:22am
post #16 of 18

I made a lemon cake with raspberry and lemon curd IMBC (it was so good). Of course I used lemon cake mix and made a pound cake. Heated up the store bought jam and pass through strainer to get all the seeds out, then brushed on the cake layer. I covered the jam with an IMBC mixed with lemon curd. I covered the top of the cake fully with fresh raspberries.
I think it will also be good to have fresh raspberry in between the layers (hopefully my next cake).

HTH

mom2rascals Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:38am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

I think it will also be good to have fresh raspberry in between the layers (hopefully my next cake).

Yummmmy!!

sccandwbfan Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:02am
post #18 of 18

I made one of the raspberry mouse recipes from this website yesterday, it was seedless jam, sugar and cool whip. It worked out wonderfully.

Christy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%