Which Option Would You Rather Transport?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 12:27am
post #1 of 5

One of my closest friends is getting married, and I offered to make her cake as her wedding present. She is expecting no more than 70 people (though she certainly does not have a final head count ... could be considerably less). Either way, she's a very good friend of mine, and I want to make something pretty.

My main issue is that her venue is about an hour and a half away from here. I will have to transport the cake there. Initially, I was thinking of doing a 10-inch, 8-inch, 6-inch round cake, stacked with SPS, and just driving it on out. But I'd like to make something a little grander, though with the same rough number of servings. I came up with an alternate version: 12-inch, with a double-barrel 8-inch (made of cake-dummies) on top, and a 6-inch round made of actual cake on top of the super-tall fake tier. More than anything, I love the idea of the drama of the tall tier ... and I'm thinking it might be easier to transport this cake, unassembled, than the other assembled. Since this cake is a gift, I pretty much have free reign with the design, and my friend is pretty much grateful I'm doing any cake, period ... she could care less about the configuration.

So, to all of you cake gurus out there. Which of these options would YOU rather transport? The three-tier, ready-stacked SPS, with the smaller diameters, or the larger bottom-tiered with the fake double-barrel? Pleeeeeaaaaaaase help!!!!

4 replies
emiyeric Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

Just to clarify, the one with the dummies would be transported unstacked. I can't really use SPS with styrofoam in the middle of my cake. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Frecklysmom Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 5

I would definitely travel with either cake unassembled. I really like your second cake idea though as far as the drama of a taller cake!

leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

Frecklysmom, SPS was designed to travel with cakes assembled so it's definitely doable.

I like the idea of the second one. it should be really pretty. You can put SPS in the bottom tier to support what's on top. Of course you don't put SPS in the sytro.

emiyeric Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 5

Terrific, love having your opinions! Leahs, would you then use SPS and travel with the while thing stacked anyway? Maybe stack the dummies on the bottom, an leave the 6inch for stacking when we get to the site?
I'm a hobbyist, and am not used to working outside of my kitchen, so stacking things somewhere else makes me nervous too. I'm planning on bringing icing and extra flowers for touch ups, but would ideally like to have as much done as possible before leavin home!

Thanks for your input, guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%