Can Fondant Accent Pieces Go On Buttercream?

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm by chinadoll652003

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 5

Never mixed the two but is it possible to cut out small designs in fondant or a fondant/gum paste mix to place over a buttercream frosting when I want to decorate a cake? From what I read will fondant melt or bleed if placed on buttercream? Hate full fondant cake but love the designs that can be done with it. Your expertise would be appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 5

Yes you can. I do it all the time. I just attach the fondant with a little bit of BC. I've never had an issue with bleeding, and i do it very frequently.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with cfpeoples and also do it all the time. I usually just put the fondant on the BC and gently press to adhere.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5

I find that fondant that is slightly damp on the back stick with no extra glue needed. I always stick them on to my butter cream once it is just crusted. A gentle wiggle is all I need to get the pieces settled neatly. Nothing has ever fallen off.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 5

I too use fondant as accents on my butter cream and have never had a problem with them falling off. I usually chill my my cakes before putting the fondant on, then wet the back of the fondant and stick it on. I've found it works better if the BC is chilled first then the fondant doesn't sink into the BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%