Nut Allergy Concern

Baking By TracyFace Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm by Kitagrl

TracyFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyFace Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

I have a cake due in a few weeks for a friend who's neice has a severe nut allergy. I've never baked for an allergy concern before, so I don't really know what I need to do to get as close to 100% nut-free as possible. I know that there are plenty of options for nut-free ingredients out there, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions/favorites from CCer's would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any suggestions on how to ensure that I don't contaminate the cake in some other way, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

6 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:55am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

severe nut allergy

Disregarding the cake/filling/frosting, can you guarantee that your kitchen is "nut-free" ? It is rarely the product that causes the reaction, but rather cross-contamination from other sources ..

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 7

Tracy - be very careful....that's the best advice I can give.

I make nut-free cakes for a friend of mine that has a very severe nut allergy. I use completely separate everything (new bags of flour, sugar, butter, etc.) and "never been in contact with nuts" hardware (beaters, measuring cups, spatulas, bowls, etc.) when I bake for her, and clean my oven right before baking for her.

I also make absolutely sure that all of the ingredients I use are labeled nut-free (not all baking powder is, for example) - and that the manufacturers do not make nut products on the same lines/equipment/ factory.

In addition to that, I always tell her - and I make a big sign on the box of the product - that I cannot guarantee it is completely nut-free. That way, she always has an epipen and/or other medication handy.... I only do this for her because she's a good friend, and an adult who can make her own decision. But I would never sell a product as "nut-free" (if I could sell that is) or make it for someone I don't' know very, very well.

hope that helps!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 7

I can't be emphatic enough in my support of the previous posters. IF you can't guarantee that your kitchen is nut-free (which you can't do if you ever bake a regular cake with regular ingredients in it, because of the cross contamination in so many of these ingredients), I wouldn't touch the order. As the previous poster mentioned, separate equipment is needed, separate bags of ingredients, and only ingredients that are specifically labeled to be nut-free.

A "severe nut allergy" means that the affected person could die very quickly if exposed to a contaminated ingredient. Heck, I've even had patients who reacted because they touched a contaminated ingredient, without ever having put it in their mouths. Be extremely careful on this one!

TracyFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyFace Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 7

Thank y'all for the responses. I think I'm just gonna pass on the order... I'm just too nervous!! I wouldn't want anything to happen to her niece, and the only way I'd feel comfortable would be if I bought all new pans & utensils and ingredients, and I just can't afford all that! Thanks again!!

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 7

The biggest question I have here is will the parent of the child (not the aunt) allow her to eat anything made in your kitchen, knowing that there is a chance of cross contamination. Even if you purchase new ingredients and clean your oven and pans well, there is still a chance. As long as you disclose that you are not a nut free facility, it is up to the client to make the decision on whether or not to eat the cake.

As a parent of a child with a nut allergy I am extremely careful of where I will allow my child to eat baked goods from. If it is truly a "severe" nut allergy, there is no way the parent will allow her child to eat from your bakery (though I'm sure your cakes are delicious!). I wouldn't and my child does not have a "severe" nut allergy.

If you have any specific questions, you can pm me and I'll be happy to help you in any way possible.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 7

If I get asked, I just say my kitchen is not nut-free. Usually that is enough to get them looking for another baker.

If I get a cake request for an allergic child I make sure the allergy is not severe, and I also make sure its something that won't be cross-contaminated...dairy and eggs are a little easier to control than nuts.

I was so upset last year I had an order from someone who never mentioned a nut allergy, and the birthday lady had multiple food allergies, including a nut allergy, and her lip became tingly from a cupcake. GRR! But they were fine and ordered again.... that was kinda messed up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%