Topsy Turvy Cakes Need Advice

Decorating By Cinico Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 1:01am by Kaylani

Cinico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinico Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, in March I will be making a topsy turvy cake for a young ladies quince fiesta! She liked the cake at the following url http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/2009/02/topsy-turvy-cake-tutorial/
however, they don't want it all covered in fondant, just the stars in fondant!

I have never done a topsy turvy but I have found several turorial including the one on this forum site that I want to attemp! I also have very little experiance with fondant!
I have several questions and I hope someone will help me!
what kind of dowel system should I use?
I use box cake mix, will it be strong enough?
what do I need to buy to make the stripes(designs) on the stars?
how early should I start working on it, they need it for a saturday!
And how do I make the stars a silver color, I plan on making those in a marshmellow fondant!

Any help is greatly appreciated!![/list]

2 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 3

I have done several topsy turvy's in just buttercream with fondant accents. I also have done them with that dig out method and I didn't like it. I also angle my sides of the cake this will make it look better. I use wooden dowels but the most important thing to remember is put your dowels in on the second tier after you stack it. the dowels must stay 90 to the cake board or it will fall over.

1st step fill cakes (nothing slippery) chill.
using a cake board 2 inches smaller than the cake angle your sides
raise one side of the cake up about an inch and cut across the cake with your leveler. put top back on the opposite way to get Te angle on the top.
repeat for all layers

dowel bottom layer stack second cake and put dowels again stack 3rd layer and put a dowel down thru center.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:01am
post #3 of 3

Hi! Sounds like a fun project. If you are working on your first TT cake for an such an important occasion you should order Sharon Zambito's Topsy Turvy dvd. You can google sugared productions.

It is worth every single penny and more! You can watch it over and over. If you follow the dvd instructions you should have a wonderful cake with less stress thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%