My Poor Achey, Breaky Back!

Lounge By countrycaker Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 9:21am by scp1127

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 12

Anyone else have lower back problems from doing cakes? If so, what do you do about it? I've been trying back stretches but I still have to be extra careful to not tweak my back. When it happens, it feels like someone has grabbed a nerve in my lower back with their sharp fingernails and pinched as hard as they could, and then when that stops me in my tracks they suddenly give it a twist, which usually drops me to my knees. I can't give up cake decorating! There has to be another solution! Help please!!

11 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 12

Have you tried seeing a Chiropractor? I went for almost a year (started out 3x a week and got down to 1x a month) and now i don't go at all and have no more pain either.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

When it happens, it feels like someone has grabbed a nerve in my lower back with their sharp fingernails and pinched as hard as they could, and then when that stops me in my tracks they suddenly give it a twist, which usually drops me to my knees.

Does it happen when or after standing too long or if/when you've lifted too much? If there are certain movements that you physically cannot do any more or have pain that shoots down your leg, pay attention to those signs because you may have a ruptured/herniated disk that might require surgery. It sounds extremely painful, and life isn't fun if you have to live with pain. I'd be getting a professional opinion with MRI (if recommended), if the pain doesn't stop soon. Take care of yourself!

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:34am
post #4 of 12

I have been living with back pain since I was 14. I am now 47. If it keeps recurring, go see a doctor or chiro. Other poster is correct that you could have a herniated disc. I have had several back surgeries including fusion.

My suggestions ( what I do for myself).

Try sitting......I know it is hard to decorate sitting down, but it can be done.

You may want to get a back support brace to keep you from moving too far and too fast in the wrong direction, so to speak.

Make sure you are wearing good supportive shoes for when you are standing.

Getting a gel floor mat (like chefs and restaurants use) in your kitchen and/or decorating area.

Do things in increments if you can. (I try not to bake, cover in fondant and decorate all in one day. I make as many of my decorations in advance as I can.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:11am
post #5 of 12

either lower your chair or elevate your cakes. What you're doing is bending down/over to do the cake, which is hurting your back.

I would roll my office chair over to the work table. With this chair, my chin barely came above the table edge (ok, maybe that's a SLIGHT exaggeration, but I felt like a kid trying to sit at the Grown-Ups-Table! icon_lol.gif ). this put the cake right at eye level with no bending, leaning, or pulling of my back muscles.

Sometimes I'd get one of my big pans or the big can of crisco (6 lb size) and set the tier on top of that to decorate, again putting the cake at eye level.

Remember, I had to close the shop due to arthritis in my neck. I have 2 damaged vertebrae in my neck, which, of course, is connected to and part of the spine, which, if not taken care of, can lead to back pain. Trust me, I was/am VERY aware of what movements and positions can throw me into an "incapacitated" stage. I was pretty much down for all of Nov 2010 with this pain.

Get yoru cakes at eye level and you'll see a big difference.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:50am
post #6 of 12

I was having problems with terrible pain in my back and booty/hip area after standing for too long. I would get home and be in agony, barely able to walk or stand up. I bought a gel mat but it didn't seem to help much. I recently got some new shoes and WOW!, what a difference!! Since I bought them, I haven't had any pain whatsoever.

My SIL has developed plantar fascitis and her dr. recommended Nike Air. I went to the store and found some Air Max and included insoles. I ended up paying $200 for that pair of shoes and I've never paid $200 for ANY shoes, much less tennis shoes but they have proven their worth. Get the ones that have air in the soles. It was a great investment!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:49am
post #7 of 12

Frequent chiropractic visits are a must. It sounds like you may have a pinched nerve in your back. Spinal issues can cause all sorts of problems ranging from cold feet and hands, allergies, headaches, joint pain. I have been going to the same doctor for about 20 years, and let me tell you, I would be lost without him. He's my saving grace.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:59am
post #8 of 12

Thanks to nearsightedness and hateful bifocals, when I do borders and such, I place the cake (on the turntable) on top of microwave which sits on an old dresser. If you must stand, elevate the cake at least once in awhile so you change your position.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:06am
post #9 of 12

Thank you for all the much-needed advice. I went to a chiropractor years ago but quit when it didn't seem to be making a difference. Maybe I need to try again. Definitely will be elevating my cakes to eye level and sitting while decorating. I'm sure all the bending over I normally do when decorating has been wreaking havok on my back. Hopefully, taking those few steps will take care of things and it's not a ruptured disk or something fun (!) like that.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 12

Got myself an inversion table and that has helped-alot. Having said that you would probably run a quick visit to the chiro first, incase it is something that inverting may just aggrivate. Good luck!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:49am
post #11 of 12

I'm too afraid of a chiropractor... I find my gel mat really helps and when I can I sit on a car-shop stool I bought at Costco. I also elevate my cakes sometimes like indydebi - I use a full bucket of fondant. And thank goodness for a hot bath when it's done - And for the dishes-fairy (ie, wonderful husband) who visits my kitchen while I'm there.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:21am
post #12 of 12

My husband is a chiropractor. He got me prescription innersoles for my shoes. I buy my shoes a half size larger and I can stand and walk all day (and I have a broken vertebrae). You don't need to have a problem to get them. They can be preventive care. He had them made for my daughter before she began high school sports, and now our friends get them for their kids. The prescription starts with an impression mat for each foot, and then the right material for how you plan to use them. He is sleeping now so I can't get in my closet to find the brand. Anyone interested, pm me and you can see if there is a doc near you.

My business is new and he wants me to get a mat right away, again, to prevent a problem.

I wear Nike Shox with 5 circles on the heel (4 are not as good), and Merrill shoes, both with room for the insert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%