How Long Does Mmf Last?

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 3:44am by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 9

How long does MMF last? I've heard anything from a week to a month, and I've seen on the satin ice buckets that their shelf life is 1 yr. I've also heard that MMF has to be refrigerated and I've also heard that it can stay out. I just want to make sure I'm storing it properly...

8 replies
SugarMama5 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 9

*bump* icon_smile.gif

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 9

I make my MMF and if I'm covering a cake I want it fresh so within about a week. If I am making decorations I've been about 6 weeks out and it is still good. Just make sure you double cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and I also rub it down with crisco.

shannonBridges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonBridges Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 9

I find that if I am covering a cake I don't want it to be more than a week out either. I tried rolling some out that I had stored in the fridge for a couple of weeks and it did not roll properly. (I through it out.) It seemed to break apart more easily and didn't have as smooth a texture. I am not sure why. I never have problems with the fresh stuff.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 9

I have never made this, but have always wanted to. Have you tried adding glycerine to the fondant to make it more pliable again? Just wondering....

SMHoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMHoff Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 9

I actually had some I had kept double wrapped and bagged in the fridge since Oct. Just took it out on Tuesday, broke off a chunk and warmed it up in the microwave. There were a couple little hard bits (that were very easy to find and remove) that happened but other than that it rolled out perfectly after I kneaded it a bit. Just used it to cover a bit of a cake while I was spraying with colors and actually rolled it thick to cut shapes, then skim- coated a layer of BC and peeled the shapes off to leave the white BC show. I did taste it too and it was perfectly edible IMHO.

If nothing else I'd say it's useful to 'mask' off parts of cakes for things. So I'm keeping what I still have for future use (just keeping it in double wrap and airtight container) icon_smile.gif

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 9

Oh yeah, I don't put it in the refrigerator since it will dry it out. There is nothing in it that is perishable so no need to refrigerate

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 9

Had it last up to 6 months (and counting). Tightly double wrapped and kept in a tupperware container in the cupboard (cool/dark place).

Seemed a but crumbly at first but once I worked it a bit it was perfectly fine and tasted good. However, I have only covered a cake with MMF 2 months old or fresh (less than a week). The 6 mos stuff I used for accents; think it would have been fine but the cake wasn't going to be that color & I wanted fresh.

I don't rub with crisco before long term storage b/c I am afraid the crisco will go rancid before the fondant goes bad. Never store in the fridge.

SugarMama5 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #9 of 9

Good to know, I haven't ever kept it in the fridge but it's always been double wrapped and stored in my cupboard. I have used glycerin before and it does help with pliability.

Glad I'm doing the right thing! Thanks all! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%