How Long Does Mmf Last?

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 3:44am by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 9

How long does MMF last? I've heard anything from a week to a month, and I've seen on the satin ice buckets that their shelf life is 1 yr. I've also heard that MMF has to be refrigerated and I've also heard that it can stay out. I just want to make sure I'm storing it properly...

8 replies
SugarMama5 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 9

*bump* icon_smile.gif

brensmom12 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 9

I make my MMF and if I'm covering a cake I want it fresh so within about a week. If I am making decorations I've been about 6 weeks out and it is still good. Just make sure you double cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and I also rub it down with crisco.

shannonBridges Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 9

I find that if I am covering a cake I don't want it to be more than a week out either. I tried rolling some out that I had stored in the fridge for a couple of weeks and it did not roll properly. (I through it out.) It seemed to break apart more easily and didn't have as smooth a texture. I am not sure why. I never have problems with the fresh stuff.

zespri Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 9

I have never made this, but have always wanted to. Have you tried adding glycerine to the fondant to make it more pliable again? Just wondering....

SMHoff Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 9

I actually had some I had kept double wrapped and bagged in the fridge since Oct. Just took it out on Tuesday, broke off a chunk and warmed it up in the microwave. There were a couple little hard bits (that were very easy to find and remove) that happened but other than that it rolled out perfectly after I kneaded it a bit. Just used it to cover a bit of a cake while I was spraying with colors and actually rolled it thick to cut shapes, then skim- coated a layer of BC and peeled the shapes off to leave the white BC show. I did taste it too and it was perfectly edible IMHO.

If nothing else I'd say it's useful to 'mask' off parts of cakes for things. So I'm keeping what I still have for future use (just keeping it in double wrap and airtight container) icon_smile.gif

brensmom12 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 9

Oh yeah, I don't put it in the refrigerator since it will dry it out. There is nothing in it that is perishable so no need to refrigerate

Herekittykitty Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 9

Had it last up to 6 months (and counting). Tightly double wrapped and kept in a tupperware container in the cupboard (cool/dark place).

Seemed a but crumbly at first but once I worked it a bit it was perfectly fine and tasted good. However, I have only covered a cake with MMF 2 months old or fresh (less than a week). The 6 mos stuff I used for accents; think it would have been fine but the cake wasn't going to be that color & I wanted fresh.

I don't rub with crisco before long term storage b/c I am afraid the crisco will go rancid before the fondant goes bad. Never store in the fridge.

SugarMama5 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #9 of 9

Good to know, I haven't ever kept it in the fridge but it's always been double wrapped and stored in my cupboard. I have used glycerin before and it does help with pliability.

Glad I'm doing the right thing! Thanks all! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%