True White Buttercream

Baking By TheCakeCrumb Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 1:32am by TheCakeCrumb

TheCakeCrumb Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hello There!

For those of you who use real butter in your buttercream, what do you do when you need a pure white?? I don't like the all crisco recipe so I don't know what to do. I don't want to have to use 2 different recipes, so I am trying to find a new one that I love enough to use all of the time. I tried using the Sugarshack recipe, but I felt like I could never get it to tast like anything. I don't know if I do my regular recipe with hi ratio instead of crisco/butter if that would do ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
ddaigle Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

I always make a double batch of bc and use 3 sticks of butter and 3 sticks of crisco. I mix it until it has the consistancy of sour cream and in all of that mixing in addition with 2 bags of (white) ps, my bc is very white. I also use clear almond & vanilla extracts. HTH.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 6

add a tad of purple to offset the yellow and some white color, it's not perfectly white but a lot better than if I don't add it

Chasey Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto to exactly what ddaigle said! Except I am using much smaller quantities for my hobby baking self. icon_biggrin.gif

If you want to stay with all butter, you can use a product called White-White by Wilton. It contains food safe titanium dioxide that will "bleach" the added yellow coloring butter has. Just squirt it into the bowl, mix a bit and check to see if you want to add more. Easy.

TheCakeCrumb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! I usually do 1 cup crisco/1 cup butter with 1 bag of ps. So I will play around with the quantities of each and see!

TheCakeCrumb Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #6 of 6

btw, ddaigle - I am am a LA girl too =)
are you able to fit all of yours in a 5 qt KA?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%