Yes, I know...nuts are what really make a Linzer cookie but I have a client looking for Linzer cookies with no nuts...I'm trying to work on a few ideas but any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
These are NOT Linzer Cookies... as you know by definition Linzer Cookies have nuts in them. However, you could make these cookies which don't include nuts, leave off the "holly" decorations and icing, sprinkle with powdered sugar and they make a nice Jam cookie.
Holly Berry Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cinnamon red hot candies
4 drops green food coloring
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, white sugar, ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl beat the egg and 1/4 cup of milk. Add this to the crumb mixture until the dough is moistened. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Once cool spread jam on half of the cookies then top each with another cookie.
5. To Make Glaze: Combine the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread glaze over the cookie and decorate with red cinnamon candy before the glaze is set. Let dry. Using a small new paintbrush and green food coloring, paint holly leaves on cookies.
There are several nut-free recipes for Linzer cookies available online:
You can even add some imitation almond extract to bring back some of the nut flavor. If the client has a nut allergy make sure you are very careful about cross-contamination.
sandybeach is on the right track. If you need a nut-free Linzer type cookie, take any sugar or shortbread cookie recipe and sandwich two cookies with raspberry jam.