How Do I?

Decorating By faith101010 Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 4:03pm by leily

faith101010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faith101010 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 7

What is the best way to learn how to make flowers, when decorating? icon_biggrin.gif
thanks I appreciate it alot!

6 replies
tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 7

I practiced a bit with play-doh before making the fondant. I am still very new to this but it helps me.

HTH

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 7

[quote="tigachu"]I practiced a bit with play-doh before making the fondant. I am still very new to this but it helps me.

that is such a cute idea, never thought of it, but isn't the consistancy way off? Anyway even if you made a batch of fondant ( cost is less than $4.00 in most places) or bought a can of gumpaste from Michael's (with a coupon of 40 -50% off) it would still be only $5.00 in most places. I get coupounds from this site anytime I want them www.dealspl.us and there is way more coupons for everything else too. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith101010

What is the best way to learn how to make flowers, when decorating? icon_biggrin.gif
thanks I appreciate it alot!

what medium do you wnt to work with? Buttercream or fondant (or gumpaste)?

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 7

I learned how to make gumpaste flowers from many library books and You Tube videos. thumbs_up.gif

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 7

Buy the Wilton flower kit, it comes with many cutters and directions to make basic flowers from the cutters. That'll be a good start. icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 7

welll... you've gotten good advice for fondant/gumpaste flowers.

If you're looking for buttercream or royal icing flowers then i would look at wilton magazines, and if you can find it Wilton Encyclopedia 3 (they have been out of print for years, so you'll have to look online)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%