Ideas For Different Height Tiers?

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm by mim1234

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:35am
post #1 of 3

I'm making my soon to be SIL's (and my brothers) wedding cake in July. We've decided on doing round tiers, but with varying heights. I'm thinking four tiers, maybe five.

Can anyone tell me what they've done in the past? Or maybe a picture of a cake as an example.

Also, if my bottom tier is six inches high, will that be a pain for someone to cut? I suppose they need to make sure the caterer has large enough cake plates. TIA!

2 replies
Anne1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne1017 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 3

I love to do different height tiers. As far as the 6 layer bottom tier this is what I would do. Do only 2 layers then put in supports and exact same size cardboard circle, then do the next two layers, repeat and then the last two layers. That way you are still able to serve "normal" not "ginormus" size servings, plus you have solid stability for the bottom tier. I never stack more than three layers without adding the support system especially if you are using a filling other than buttercream. This is a cake I did last week with a 3 layer center tier. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1931366

mim1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1234 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

I'm making my soon to be SIL's (and my brothers) wedding cake in July. We've decided on doing round tiers, but with varying heights. I'm thinking four tiers, maybe five.

Can anyone tell me what they've done in the past? Or maybe a picture of a cake as an example.

Also, if my bottom tier is six inches high, will that be a pain for someone to cut? I suppose they need to make sure the caterer has large enough cake plates. TIA!

hi tia, i used supports on every level, i dont think it will be too hard to cut if its 6" high. this is my first ever tier cake for my daughters 18th.

sorry tia, i cant seem to upload my picture !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%