Anyone Have A Breville Stand Mixer?

Decorating By BakerMama21 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 1:57am by tigachu

BakerMama21 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:53am
post #1 of 9

I'm in the market for a stand mixer. I was leaning pretty heavily toward the Cuisinart but then I came across the Breville. It's seems so new that there are as many reviews out there. Just wondering if anyone has one and loves/hates it. TIA!

8 replies
zespri Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:19am
post #2 of 9

I have the Breville BEM800. I actually wanted the Cuisinart, but they are not avaialable in New Zealand, so I had resigned myself to getting the kitchen aid (which I didn't want). But then the Breville popped up, I hadn't even noticed it before.

It was $750 on the shelf (NZ dollars), but they agreed to sell it to me for $500. It comes with a dough hook, whisky thing, and two paddles. One of the paddles has rubber bits on the edges to scrape down the sides of the bowl. It has a timer on it (maximum 10 minutes, I think the cuisinart is 15 minutes?). And it's 1000w, which I think might be the same as the cuisinart, and significantly more than the KA.

It has handle things on the bottom to make it easier to move, and a retractable cord (apparently, I haven't tried to retract it yet). It also comes in different colours.

This is the first good mixer I've ever owned, so all I can say is that I did my research before buying it, and I like it, but have nothing to compare it to sorry!

BakerMama21 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your reply! I didn't realize there was more than one Breville model. It seems in the states you can only get one model. I'm not even sure what it's called but it's a 5 qt. with a 550-watt motor. That's more wattage than the KA but not as much as the Cuisinart. I was convinced i was going to buy the Cuisinart but then I heard some not-so-great things about their customer service. I also read reviews from people who said theirs quit working after days or months. Then it was a horrible situation for them when trying to get them fixed. I've also read that the bowl on the Cuisinart is so narrow that it's difficult to get as much in it as it should be able to hold.

I think I could live with a 5-qt. My hesitation with the Breville is that I can't seem to find anywhere to buy replacement pieces. Like if I wanted a second bowl or paddle attachment. I also haven't heard much about their customer service.

katheros Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 9

I just got the Breville for Christmas. I was back and forth about the mixer I wanted, and finally decided on this one. So far I love it. I've only made one cake with it though, and some other light stuff. I haven't even made frosting with it yet, since I was being lazy with that one cake (my family's Christmas cake). I think I'm going to try bread or MMF in it, just to see if it can handle it (I currently don't have a reason to make them other than just because). And I'd rather find out now if it can't handle it, rather than when I may really need it.

zespri Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 9

BakerMama, I don't think the customer service thing should be high on your list of reasons for choosing one over the other, because more likely than not you will never have to use them. Also I don't know about where you live, but if my Breville mixer breaks down I would go back to the retailer, and they would deal with the manufacturer. All I have to do is walk into the shop and then wait for them to call me and say my mixer is ready to be picked up. Same where you are?

The wattage thing is confusing, I saw one website which said mine was less than 1000w (I can't remember how much it said). I asked in the store, and was told this: They advertise it at the wattage the medium setting uses, NOT the full wattage. I am still not sure why they would do that, and certainly not everyone was advertising it at the same. Very strange, maybe she was making it up!!

As for the models available, I suspect there are more here because they are made in Australia, and we're closer.

tigachu Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 9

I love my Breville (5qt)! I hope they come up with a model that has a larger bowl but other than that, I love it. I use a breadmaker for dough but I have made more than 10 cakes, cookies, and ABC, SMBC, and MMF since I bought it in October 2010 with no problems. I noticed that the mixer "rocks" a bit while using the beater blade (that scrapes the whole bowl) but not a big deal. I researched it for a while but I took a baking class in October 2010 and the instructor had both the Breville and Cuisinart (7qt) in the kitchen so I tried both and preferred the Breville. My reasons were minimal-I wanted the 7qt Cuisinart but the bowl is oddly shaped (tall instead of wide) which would kind of prohibit me from easily adding ingredients while the mixer is going and I did not like the cupped shape of the attachments (my KA and Breville have a flat top on the attachments). When we added flour, it had gotten caught in the top part of the whisk/blade. I love the sleek look of the Breville. Just my preference but you will be happy with either of the two.

BakerMama21 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigachu

I love my Breville (5qt)! I hope they come up with a model that has a larger bowl but other than that, I love it. I use a breadmaker for dough but I have made more than 10 cakes, cookies, and ABC, SMBC, and MMF since I bought it in October 2010 with no problems. I noticed that the mixer "rocks" a bit while using the beater blade (that scrapes the whole bowl) but not a big deal. I researched it for a while but I took a baking class in October 2010 and the instructor had both the Breville and Cuisinart (7qt) in the kitchen so I tried both and preferred the Breville. My reasons were minimal-I wanted the 7qt Cuisinart but the bowl is oddly shaped (tall instead of wide) which would kind of prohibit me from easily adding ingredients while the mixer is going and I did not like the cupped shape of the attachments (my KA and Breville have a flat top on the attachments). When we added flour, it had gotten caught in the top part of the whisk/blade. I love the sleek look of the Breville. Just my preference but you will be happy with either of the two.

I saw your reply on another thread! You were actually the reason I threw the Breville into the mix. I've heard that about the Cuisinart bowl. In fact, I heard that even though it's a 7qt, it doesn't hold as much as it should because of how the bowl is shaped. I'm hesitant to go for a 5qt but I really think I can make it work because so many othe rpeople do far more baking than I do and make it work with a 5 qt. bowl with the Artisan. The Breville seems to me to bring the positives of both the KA and the Cuisinart together into one mixer. Of course, hubby keeps telling me to go for the brand with more of a reputation and get the KA!

zespri Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 9

Tell your husband that the KA's reputation is built on years of mixers made by Hobart. The people that say "my KA has lasted me 15 years!" all have ones made by Hobart. Someone else makes them now, with different parts, and if you read reviews there are a lot of unhappy people. I remember reading one review where a man said he used to have a KA for about 15 years, got a new one and has had it replaced five times. He said it was supposed to be able to handle five cups of bread dough, and that he would keep on putting five cups of bread dough in it, and keep getting it replaced under warranty because it should do what it claims. Of course there are thousands of happy people as well! But their weaker motor is enough to put me off. And also here in NZ they are exactly twice the price of the more powerful Breville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMama21

Of course, hubby keeps telling me to go for the brand with more of a reputation and get the KA!

tigachu Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #9 of 9

I also have a KA that I purchased almost 3 years ago and what everyone says about the parts being different is so true! Early on, my KA started straining while mixing cake batter, it was very loud,and started to leak dark brown oil. icon_cry.gif I just assumed that mixers wer supposed to wobble and make loud noises! icon_confused.gif Solely based off of my one experience with that KA, I will not purchase another. I initially purchased the KA based on their reputation but I too learned that the great KAs of the past were Hobarts icon_redface.gif

I don't want to offend anyone but my comment is based on my own personal experience. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck and i hope you find a mixer that you too will love!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%