How Do I Do This Meringue Cake?

Decorating By karateka Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 3:21am by Annabakescakes

karateka Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #1 of 13

I have a request for the meringue cake in Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes, page 130.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/meringue-cakes-chrysanthemum-cake

You can also see the pic at the above link.

I am concerned. She wants cream cheese icing and bavarian cream filling (from scratch) both of which have to be refrigerated. If I fill, frost, and refrigerate the cakes, then transport and pipe the meringue when I get there....will there be enough condensation on them to mess up the meringue on the top?

I realize that cream cheese frosting is not pure white, so I'd have to color the meringue.

Would this work if I piped it onto parchment and baked it, then I could just put it on top when I arrived at the venue? It seems like it would be more stable.....

My other concern is: I would have to transport the meringue already made (if the baking thing I asked about above won't work). Would it make the trip? Or would it deflate and be useless by the time I got there? I have no idea how I'd go about making the meringue on site. I'd be mortified to ask to use their kitchen and go about doing this under the scrutiny of the kitchen staff!

I'd love to accommodate her, but this scares me a little.

12 replies
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:34am
post #2 of 13

Hi, this meringue the recipe is calling for , is not the kind you bake. It is italian meringue buttercream. Recipes on this site and all over the internet. You cook the sugar and water to a certain tempt. beat the egg whites till stiff peaks, let cool down some and then beat int butter. For your icing(cream cheese) you will have to do what lots of other decorators do, make earlene moores recipe for cream cheese icing( using shortening(sweetex, etc.) no butter and then she uses butavan. which she sells. But then on designmeacake.com(edna) from this site has a decorators cream cheese recipe also. The real cream cheese recipe is butter, cream cheese and powder sugar and vanilla. This is the true cream cheese recipe. So , i would fill my cakes, ice my cake with the decorators cream cheese icing( talk this over with the bride) and put in fridge. take out next morning. Make the italian meringue buttercream the day before. refrigerate, but take out soon as you can to give it time to get to room tempt. Take in large covered bowl to venue. set up cake, pipe those spikes out with the tip it says to use. You will be fine. You could pipe them on at home, some of them. I would do anything at home i could , so not to have to do it avenue. YOu will befine. At least , this is what i would do. I mkae s,bc and imbc all the time. I think imbc is litlle sturdier that smbc. again, this cake is calling for imbc.hth

icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 13

I forgot to say, that this cake is also iced in the imbc. And again, look at earlenes recipe and designmeacake.com and the recipe is also on this site. It is not a true cream cheese icing, I have made it before for wedding and anniversary cakes. Just talk this over with your bride. Maybe made a batch and let her taste it.

karateka Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:20am
post #4 of 13

Actually, it is italian meringue, not IMBC. There is no butter added.

AnnieCahill Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:42am
post #5 of 13

I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but if you read the reviews on that specific cake, one lady says this:

I have iced a wedding cake with Italian meringue and successfully refrigerated it 24 hours prior to the wedding. I haven't tried to freeze a cake iced with it, but my guess is that it would weep.

What I would do is do a trial test batch on a cream cheese iced cake. Make it, leave it out for however long, and then try to pipe with it. It does say in the recipe that you should use it immediately because of the air bubbles, but I don't see why you couldn't just give it a gentle stir to get those out before you pipe it.

If you're concerned about condensation, I would let the cakes come to room temperature before you add the meringue, just my opinion.

Good luck!

karateka Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 13

Hm...I didn't see the review because I just looked for the picture and didn't go to the recipe since I have the book at home.

Of course, all it says in there is that it must be piped right after making it and immediately before display.

I guess I need to practice run it. Sigh...

Thanks for the help, though. If anyone else has input, it would be appreciated.

Jennifer1970 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 13

It's easy, just tell the bride "no". You are the cake expert, not her. Tell her why her choices won't work, and she either needs to pick a cream cheese frosted cake, or a meringue frosted cake. I don't understand everyone's hesitation to tell brides that something is impossible, and you don't want to have a disaster on her big day. She will either appreciate your honesty, or find some other fool to attempt the impossible.

karateka Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 13

Of course I can do that. But I wanted to see if there was a way to accomplish it without disappointing her.

cabecakes Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 13

Good attitude Karateka. It is easy to just say no. But where would the cake industry be if no one ever attempted to do anything out of the norm. Good for you. I would try a test run. If it doesn't work out...consult with the bride about the issues.

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 13

What about a boiled frosting, or a White Mountain Cream? They are both meringue based and they are both stable.

karateka Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks, Anna. If you have recipes I'd be interested for the future. She changed her mind and went with a much different design.

nancyg Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 13

I have a question?
dont know how to put it where it might belong. I am looking for a frosting recipe with whipped canned Milnot and powdered sugar.....ANyone???

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:21am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Thanks, Anna. If you have recipes I'd be interested for the future. She changed her mind and went with a much different design.

I have only used the Fanny Farmer White Mountain Cream. I don't know where my book is, but a search for the Fannie Farmer version turn up a bibliographic record of it:

White Mountain Cream
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or
1/3 cup cold water
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
White 1 egg

Put sugar and water in saucepan, and stir to prevent sugar from adhering to saucepan; heat gradually to boiling-point, and boil without stirring until syrup will thread when dropped from tip of spoon or tines of silver fork. Pour syrup gradually on beaten white of egg, beating mixture constantly, and continue beating until of right consistency to spread; then add flavoring and pour over cake, spreading evenly with back of spoon. Crease as soon as firm. If not beaten long enough, frosting will run; if beaten too long, it will not be smooth. Frosting beaten too long may be improved by adding a few drops of lemon juice or boiling water. This frosting is soft inside, and has a glossy surface. If frosting is to be ornamented with nuts or candied cherries, place them on frosting as soon as spread.

My grandma intentionally overcooks the sugar and makes a carmel candy out of it for Christmas. It is too sweet that way for me, but she also puts the original recipe on Angel food cake. I prefer my angel food with whipped cream and strawerries, but the white mountain cream is a big hit with the rest of the family, about 40 of them! thumbs_up.gif I guess I'm picky! I lick the beaters though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%