Cat/pillow Cake

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 1:03am by cylstrial

kkswmmr114 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 6

This weekend I am going to be making a cake in the shape of a pillow with a cat sitting on top wearing a hat. The pillow cake I'm not worried about... I haven't made a pillow cake before, but I have done other carved cakes and I'm pretty confident in my abilities with that. It's the cat sitting on top that I'm worried about. The pillow is going to be a 10" square. How big should I make the cat?? And should I make the cat out of rice krispies then cover in fondant?? Or should I use modeling chocolate?? I don't have alot of experience sculpting rice krispies or using modeling chocolate... Help please!! I'm in a little over my head...

5 replies
MissBlu Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 6

Do you have a mini loaf pan? May be you could use that for the body and make the legs and head of of RKT.

HTH

cakesrock Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

Modelling choc is easy to make and use, but it's not that great for fine detail. How detailed do you want it? Maybe try fondant mixed with tylose - that's what I would use if it was small. But if you want it to cover most of the pillow and can get away with a basic shape and little detail, use the modelling choc. I haven't had a lot of luck sculpting with RKT. Sounds like a really fun cake - please post pics!

kkswmmr114 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for the suggestions guys!! I ended up going with RKT covered in modeling chocolate. I should have then covered it fondant because two layers of modeling chocolate took forever... but oh well, lesson learned! The picture is in my pics if you want to see. It was a very fun cake!!

cakesrock Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 6

Great job! Did you use wh modelling choc and paint?

cylstrial Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:03am
post #6 of 6

The cat and the pillow cake turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%