Gifting A Cake In Nj?

Business By nursingnellie Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 1:33am by BlakesCakes

nursingnellie Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I am a long time lurker, new to posting tho. I am attending a Sweet 16 party for the daughter of a friend of ours, and I wanted to offer to do a cake for her as a gift. BUT, I know NJ laws are wonky and I am a home baker (a hobbyist...duh) who is obviously not licensed or anything of the sort. The party is at a restaurant..well really a banquet hall, so I am wondering what you lovely knowledgeable cakers can tell me about the legality of this. I don't want to offer it's not a possibility - but I would love to do this for them.

3 replies
MimiFix Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:40am
post #2 of 4

If the cake is a gift, then there is no problem. You are certainly allowed to gift people. Even in NJ. icon_smile.gif

DIBBERS Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:12am
post #3 of 4

I agree with Mimi, no laws broken. Just let the restaurant know that you are going to be having a special occasion at their establishment and bringing a special cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:33am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBBERS

I agree with Mimi, no laws broken. Just let the restaurant know that you are going to be having a special occasion at their establishment and bringing a special cake.

Anybody can give anyone a cake, anywhere, anytime, as far as I know. I give all of my cakes away thumbs_up.gif

But, yes, make sure that the banquet hall doesn't have any restrictions or "policies" regarding food items from "outside vendors".
Some venues won't allow outside food, no matter who made it.
Some will allow outside food as long as the provider is licensed thumbsdown.gif and require a copy of the license.
Some venues charge "plating" fees for outside cakes, ranging from $1 to $10 icon_eek.gif per plate.

Better to find out in advance than to have to put the cake back in the trunk!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%