Calling All Kiwis, Sign In Here!

Baking By zespri Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm by AliBakes6167

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 52

Not sure how many of us are on here, but I thought I'd start a thread for New Zealanders (living in NZ). Even if you have nothing to say right now, please click 'watch this topic for replies', so that you'll be notified of future messages.

The purpose being; if someone has something to ask or say exclusive to NZ, all who are watching the topic will get the message, therefore increasing our chances of getting a localised answer or learning something from the poster.

So please come back here if you have a question you think other kiwis can help you with, and remember to click 'watch this topic!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some examples:
Did you know that U.S.A. cups are 240ml, ours are 250ml - so make allowances with your recipes. Also I just read that Australian tablespoons are 20ml, ours are 15ml. That explains why my (Australian) Nana is always saying our spoons look too small when she's visiting!

Corn syrup appears in a lot of recipes, and it's not common in NZ. We have glucose, which is significantly thicker than corn syrup, but has similar ingredients. To get it the same consistency as corn syrup, put two teaspoons of warm water into a measuring cup, then fill it up to the 1/2 cup mark with glucose, and stir it in. Alternatively, there is a place in Mt Wellington called 'Martha's Backyard' who import American products. (they even sell crisco *shudder*). They sell karo light (the kind most people on here use) for $8.50 per bottle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

51 replies
amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:58am
post #2 of 52

Nice work Rachel, great idea icon_cool.gif

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 52

Hi guys. This is a great idea !!! Sometimes I just don't know what a product is or what to subsitute and where to get things. I just got finished speaking with a local country cafe who is keen for me to advertise and work out of her place to bring both of us business so I am a bit excited and got lots to think about especially how to pay her for use of her place. I don't know if will take off or not. I did offer to help with a cake for her friend but I don't want to give away all my secrets to her even though she is 'pastry chef' from the short discussion we had she is a 'cake muggle'

So Rachel - where is the best place to get petal dust for my flowers ? I can use chalk for the pastels but the leaves and darker shades I have trouble with !!

zespri Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:39am
post #4 of 52

That's an awesome opportunity, can't hurt to give try! Maybe you could pay her a flat rate per cake, or a percentage. That way you're not paying her regular money even if you don't have any orders, only if you're using her space.

As for petal dust, I only have one kind myself which I got from a local store (although I have seen some in spotlight now and then). But these places stock petal dusts, and I've ordered from both of them in the past:
http://www.sugarc rafthawkesbay.co.nz/zencart/ <-----remove the space or it will get stripped from this post
http://www.cakestuff.co.nz/zencart/

strathmore Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:30am
post #5 of 52

Thanks for that. Have looked at those sites but I am a look touchy and buy person and really would like to go to an actual shop. BTW there is an icing shop here for sale - was interested but can't do it at the moment.

amberhoney Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 7:39am
post #6 of 52

hey strathmore, whereabouts in NZ are you? I have cased out every cake decorating shop in the lower North Island so can probably help if you are down my way?

AnnaReed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaReed Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:43am
post #7 of 52

Hey I am South of Auckland. I get petal dust sent from the UK (much cheaper there!)
Where abouts is the shop for sale?

zespri Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 52

The British have the best stuff, don't they. What website do you use? I just found on in the UK which seems to have pretty reasonable prices, even taking into account the exchange rate and shipping costs. It's http://www.sugaricing.com/ Which is the one you buy from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaReed

Hey I am South of Auckland. I get petal dust sent from the UK (much cheaper there!)
Where abouts is the shop for sale?

Speaking of petal dust, I was in my local cake supplies shop looking for pink petal dust a couple of days ago. The lady in there told me to buy a box of artists chalk, expensive but it'll last me a lifetime. I remembered then reading about it in the very first cake decorating book I bought. You just scrape some off whatever colour you need and it's just like petal dust. I went back to my book and read that it is non-toxic, but not edible. Much like plenty of other cake decorating stuff, such as glitter. (edible = your body will process it. non-toxic = it will just go straight through you, no processing). Anyone know if regular petal dust is edible? My first thought was that I didn't want the artist chalk if there's an edible option, but then I realised I have no idea if petal dust is edible.... anyone know?

zespri Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 52

this is weird, I just noticed this thread is in 'recipe tips and ideas'. I definitely posted in under 'general'!

AnnaReed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaReed Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:50am
post #10 of 52

My sister in law sends it to me!

amberhoney Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:13am
post #11 of 52

haven't had to buy a lot of petal dusts because I got a steal on a bulk lot on trademe...I do however have a tendency to 'stock up' on lustre dust, dragees and glitter! Hey speaking of non toxic did anyone realise that the crayons felt pens are non toxic and can be used for cake decorating? Obviously you would only ever use them sparingly and I figure if they are tested to be safe when kids suck on them they must be safe enough to write 'happy birthday' on banner! And way cheaper than wilton ones....

amberhoney Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:29am
post #12 of 52

oops make that crayola felt pens not crayon... I wouldn't suggest that anyone should use crayons on cake! Blimmin auto complete !

amberhoney Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:36am
post #13 of 52

haven't had to buy a lot of petal dusts because I got a steal on a bulk lot on trademe...I do however have a tendency to 'stock up' on lustre dust, dragees and glitter! Hey speaking of non toxic did anyone realise that the crayons felt pens are non toxic and can be used for cake decorating? Obviously you would only ever use them sparingly and I figure if they are tested to be safe when kids suck on them they must be safe enough to write 'happy birthday' on banner! And way cheaper than wilton ones....

zespri Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:50am
post #14 of 52

that's a darn good idea, I just did a spiderman and wished I had a black edible marker to draw on his web. Didn't think about felt pens!

strathmore Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:24am
post #15 of 52

Hi guys. Have been thinking of this thread but did not get any notes that any more replies came in - this site has a few bugs now and again !!! Sorry I could not find the thread then my brain kicked in and I went to my posts. Anyway the shop is in Christchurch its on trade me. Anyway I am just south of Christchurch and you have probably heard we had a big earthquake today much worse than last September. We are near the epicenter of that one but well away from the one today so we are fine but was bad enough for me to put the kids in the doorways 3 times. In a bit of shock. To amberhoney - I used to live in Tokomaru - not that far from Levin

strathmore Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:29am
post #16 of 52

Anna Reed - the shop is on trade me if you look for cake and canterbury when you search buisness for sale. Anyway not sure what her shop is like now after todays quake. Its a great little place and think it could be made a lot better if run differently and expanded to include a small bakery.

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:43am
post #17 of 52

Hey kiwis - I buy all my supplies from KiwiCakes (www.kiwicakes.co.nz), their prices seem pretty good and the owner, Sandra, is really helpful. Otherwise I grab the odd thing at Spotlight but I am pretty limited in South Otago as we don't have any local supply shop so have to be super organised and get everything online. Also, at the kiwicakes website is the forum which is really awesome as its all New Zealanders talking about NZ stuff which is great icon_smile.gif

Great idea though zespri! Just watching the horrible news about the Christchurch earthquake - its awful.... and Cantabs on here - we are thinking of you...

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:52am
post #18 of 52

Just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all of you as you try to recover from this earthquake. My brother and Family are in Christchurch on holiday right now and thankfully have let us know they are all fine. I hope that many others get similar good news.

zespri Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:13am
post #19 of 52

strathmore - I'm watching the news right now, the death toll is shocking. I'm so glad to hear you and your family are OK.

amberhoney Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:16am
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

Just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all of you as you try to recover from this earthquake. My brother and Family are in Christchurch on holiday right now and thankfully have let us know they are all fine. I hope that many others get similar good news.

Thanks cake-angel, we are a small country and I think we have all been affected in some way, everyone seems to know someone there. What is really scary is the number of people I know who have yet to hear from their loved ones. The damage is so bad, I can't see how they will ever recover. This is one of our biggest cities in our relatively tiny country, so I'm worried about our whole economy.

To anyone from the area that is able to read this - kia kaha, our thoughts are with you icon_sad.gif

melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:34am
post #21 of 52

hi all

My thoughts go out to the new zealanders on here. I hope you and your families are all safe and well.

xxxooo

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:10pm
post #22 of 52

I came here as soon as I saw the news. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:24pm
post #23 of 52

Praying for all for all of you!

zespri Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #24 of 52

For those interested:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/christchurch_earthquake.html

All over the radio they are doing fund raisers, and talking to people from Christchurch, it's affecting so many people in so many ways. We all donated money yesterday, but someone just commented that what she'd really like to do is fly down there and help one family clean up their home. It's not just the earthquakes, it's been flooded with sewerage etc.

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm
post #25 of 52

This is a great idea Rachel. Thanks for including me. I am from West Auckland. I tend to buy things from Milly's Kitchen in Ponsonby or online stores such as kiwicakes and The Cakeshop and Cakesfuff - whoever sells what I need at the time for less icon_razz.gif.

Hi Strathmore, I can only imagine what it must be like for you. We are continually praying for you all in Ch-ch. I have three little ones so I can understand how worried you must be. I hope you and your family are coping alright. Remember there are plenty of aid available, just look up on nzherald online for updates on where to get supplies etc if you need anything at all.

Anyway, like I said, this is such a neat idea! Thanks for thinking of it icon_smile.gif

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:28am
post #26 of 52

Hi neighbours.
Just wanted to say our thoughts are with you after yet another horrible earthquake.
We were in Christchurch only a few weeks ago and can't believe what's happened to your beautiful city and your friendly people.
Wishing you strength, happiness and only good times in the future.
Cheryl (an Aussie)

zespri Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:09pm
post #27 of 52

Has anyone ever seen 'Crystal Colors' for sale in NZ? I guess they are the same kind of powder colour we can get in the 'Golden Day' brand....?

They look like this:
http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/crystal-colors-review

I just saw a beautiful cake where she said she used Crystal Colors, so I'm keen to see if they are any good.

zespri Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:56pm
post #28 of 52

Hey ladies! I have one of these carriers (which cost me a lot more than this... grr!) and I love it. If you don't have something like it, it's worth considering. You can remove the cupcake trays so it's just a cake carrier, and it's collapsible for storage... love it! Wish I could justify buying another one..hehe

It's a 1 day deal, so not sure how much stock they have left:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/daily-deals/deal/842/collapsible-cake-cupcake-carrier

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #29 of 52

Great idea - I'll put my 2c worth in so I can get on the thread. LOVE Marthas Backyard, so many cool things that we don't get here. Have to also agree that Sandra at Kiwicakes is fab, very helpful and a great product range. Take care all.

zespri Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #30 of 52

Does anyone know where I could get square muffin tins from? Apparently K-Mart had them a couple of months ago, but I phoned several of them yesterday and they no longer stock them. I'm not after the brownie tins, I mean muffin tins. Anyone seen any for sale?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%