Ediable Glitter Question

Decorating By mandagail Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 1:38am by Coral3

mandagail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandagail Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 5

How does ediable glitter taste? I have heard mixed reviews and have a client who wants it, but is scared it will taste bad. I have never been asked to use it so I have no idea what it tastes like.

TIA

4 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 5

I use the wilton glitter and it doesn't have a "taste" If there is a lot it just "tastes" like dissolving sugar.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, if you're talking about the Wilton edible glitter, which is large, kind of shiny, kind of translucent flakes, they really have no taste.

If you are talking about the stuff that looks like actual glitter, that's different, as many of those are non-toxic, but not edible, like disco dust, and should only be used as small accents or on decorations that are not intended to be eaten, like gumpaste flowers.

I would talk to the client and clarify what she is envisioning.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:12am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Yes, if you're talking about the Wilton edible glitter, which is large, kind of shiny, kind of translucent flakes, they really have no taste.

If you are talking about the stuff that looks like actual glitter, that's different, as many of those are non-toxic, but not edible, like disco dust, and should only be used as small accents or on decorations that are not intended to be eaten, like gumpaste flowers.

I would talk to the client and clarify what she is envisioning.

Ditto!

In my case, if she wants the disco dust on something that will be eaten, then I don't do the cake.

I refuse to cover food with plastic particles, no matter how "cute" it is.

Rae

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:38am
post #5 of 5

It has no taste. And you really need hardly any of it to get a really great effect. A tiny bit goes a LONG way. If you're not comfortable with people consuming it then just use it on decorations that can be removed. Personally, eating it doesn't bother me. It's non-toxic and not absorbed by your body during digestion, and you would only consume such tiny, tiny amounts of it that, to me, the risk is negligible at most. I know others would disagree. It's something you need to make your own mind up on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%