Would You Give Them Your Recipe?

Business By Dayti Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 8:06pm by cylstrial

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 37

I have a great deal with a couple of delicatessens whereby I provide them with baked goods for them to sell in their cafeterias. They have another store, 4 hours away, which is a franchise. The owner of that store came by one of the ones I provide to last week, and said how wonderful my carrot cake is.

She has asked for the recipe, so that she can pass it on to the bakery they use for them to make, and sell... what to do?? I really don't like giving out my recipes, but at the same time I want to keep this deal sweet and don't want to pee them off, and it can't hurt too much since they are hours away from me...

36 replies
jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 37

Nope, don't give them your recipes.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 37

No. no, no. First, if it is your own reciepe that you worked on and came up with, why would you.
Second, I did not know you could do that in a Franchise, I thought you had to use all products shipped in. An owner of KFC can not sell other products just because they like them.
Third, what if it is so popular in the franchise it goes nation wide. They get all the credit and the money

JMO
Adamsgama

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 37

NO NO NO!!!! I wouldn't , no way!! That is what you are known for, so why lose that??

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 37

There are many terrific carrot cake recipes out there but they want yours. Don't give it out. If you are planning to expand your business you would want your recipe to be exclusive. Just say, "Thank you! I'm glad you like it but I don't share my recipes." And smile, knowing you have something great on your hands!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 37

In this case just tell them you have a policy not to distribute recipes. Especially since they would be giving it to another business. Even if it is 4 hrs away, this is not something I would get in the habit of doing.

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 37

Big fat NO!
Does Mr Kipling give out his recipes ??? I dont think so.

Tell them you are very sorry but you dont pass on your recipes to anyone.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 37

Perhaps you could offer to ship them, or they could send a driver to pick them up every so often.

The only time you should give someone your recipes is if they buy out your business.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 37

Just adding my NO WAY!!!!! to the list. icon_wink.gif If they love it so much, then they should be willing to pay you for the cake, as Jason suggests.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 37

NO!!! Never ever ever give ur recipe. And be prepared for them to come at you with some nonsense about health concerns yada yada... in that case I wld list ingredients but not ur actual recipe. That's YOUR $$ MAKER and they want it. The minute you give that up they are going to take you out of business anyway!!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 37

What are the odds that you give them the recipe and find yourself out in the cold when both franchises start being supplied with your wonderful carrot cake by the same bakery. I don't think four hours is far enough away. I wouldn't give up my recipe for nothing. It's one thing to share recipes with other cakers on CC, but to give your recipe away to somebody who could wind up being your direct competition is a whole other balgame. Now if they wanted to BUY the recipe, or in some other way guarantee that you won't lose business, that might be a different story. The cynic in me says be vewy vewy careful, but that's just me. icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

It's one thing to share recipes with other cakers on CC, but to give your recipe away to somebody who could wind up being your direct competition is a whole other balgame.

So all they have to do to get your recipe is create an account on CC and ask? icon_wink.gif

Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 37

Thanks for all your feedback! My husband says to give them the recipe and change it up a bit, so it doesn't come out quite the same icon_rolleyes.gif Having said that, lots of people if they try a recipe it doesn't work out for them anyway...

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 37

NO, not even modified... they have to understand your recipe is part of your business!

You just don't ask a business to give away it secrets icon_eek.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

It's one thing to share recipes with other cakers on CC, but to give your recipe away to somebody who could wind up being your direct competition is a whole other ballgame.

So all they have to do to get your recipe is create an account on CC and ask? icon_wink.gif

Point taken. Still, have you NEVER shared a recipe on here?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Thanks for all your feedback! My husband says to give them the recipe and change it up a bit, so it doesn't come out quite the same icon_rolleyes.gif Having said that, lots of people if they try a recipe it doesn't work out for them anyway...

Why would you want to mess with them like that? That's not fair to them. Just be direct and communicate your policy. If you're trying to prevent hostility, remember that people are usually much less upset by direct and honest communication than we fear they will be. But they usually get really upset if they suspect you're messin' with them. And they will lose respect for you as a business if they see you getting wishy washy and avoiding or dancing around the issue.

You're a business. You have policies. Just say 'em! Why the fear? Think about it. Why would they drop you? They love your cakes so much they want the recipe!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:

Perhaps you could offer to ship them...

I agree with everyone else to not 'give' them your recipe. I was going to say exactly what Jason said - to work out some sort of deal to ship them. New Orleans bakeries ship king cakes practically year round - many using FedEx. I'd look into that. This way instead of 'giving' something away, you would actually be increasing your business thus increasing YOUR profits.

If in the future should you wish to pursue 'selling' your recipe, do it as a package deal and offer to sell it for a VERY hefty price as you can expect that if one franchise has it, it will only be a matter of time before they all quit buying from you and making it themselves. I'd have the stipulation in the deal that the recipe is somehow credited to you. JMO ~ good luck and congrats on having something so in demand!
ImageImageImageImage

jason_kraft Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:

Never. Our recipes are key components of my business's intellectual property and are the results of months of R&D. The only thing I share with strangers is our list of ingredients, which is publicly available anyway.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 37

Classic situation of "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free".

I defintely wouldn't share IMO.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:41pm
post #20 of 37

You use your recipe because it sets you apart from your competition. Don't give it to them. If they really wanted a good recipe, they would experiment on their own and find one. You have done the hard work and they want to reap the rewards. No way, no how.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #21 of 37

[quote="jasonkraft"][quote="cakeyouverymuch"]Point taken. Still, have you NEVER shared a recipe on here?[/quote]
Never. Our recipes are key components of my business's intellectual property and are the results of months of R&D. The only thing I share with strangers is our list of ingredients, which is publicly available anyway.[/quote]

Me either. I will share advice and techniques, but not recipes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:15pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:

Quote:

Never. Our recipes are key components of my business's intellectual property and are the results of months of R&D. The only thing I share with strangers is our list of ingredients, which is publicly available anyway.

Me either. I will share advice and techniques, but not recipes.

Agree... i have only ever shared one recipe, and that was with my Grandma. But I know i don' have to worry about it going any further.

Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:36pm
post #23 of 37

No, I wouldn't give them a modified recipe, that was just DH's solution! I will just write them a polite email, saying that the recipe has been developed by me and that I cannot share it. But that I am happy to work out some kind of delivery solution with them if they want to buy them from me. Right now, there are only 4 stores in Spain, 2 receive my goods, 1 wants the recipe, and the other I have no idea about but it is also a franchise I believe. But imagine if they open another 5-10 stores and they pass my recipe around to all the others? Nope, not gonna do it.
Thanks for all the advice icon_smile.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:02pm
post #24 of 37

Imagine if they open 5-10 stores and they ALL buy from you!!!! icon_smile.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:11am
post #25 of 37

This reminds me of the $100 cookie recipe story.

A person enjoyed the chocolate chip cookies so much an upper- end 'eatery' in the big city that they asked for the recipe.
They were given the recipe and when the bill came there was a $100 charge added on. They were billed for the information given.
Since they had 'seen' the recipe, the management refused to refund the money.
So, that person seeing how they now owned the recipe....reprinted it in the newspaper. icon_twisted.gif

Can't remember all the details ( name of city, restaurant, etc) just the point that they reprinted it for everyone to have a copy....
Ha! Take that!

Don't you dare give them that recipe...unless you get paid upfront that is. icon_cool.gif

mommachris

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:25am
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

This reminds me of the $100 cookie recipe story.

A person enjoyed the chocolate chip cookies so much an upper- end 'eatery' in the big city that they asked for the recipe.
They were given the recipe and when the bill came there was a $100 charge added on. They were billed for the information given.
Since they had 'seen' the recipe, the management refused to refund the money.
So, that person seeing how they now owned the recipe....reprinted it in the newspaper. icon_twisted.gif

Can't remember all the details ( name of city, restaurant, etc) just the point that they reprinted it for everyone to have a copy....
Ha! Take that!

Don't you dare give them that recipe...unless you get paid upfront that is. icon_cool.gif

mommachris

That was an urban legend. icon_smile.gif

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #27 of 37

Give her a sweet smile and thank her for complimenting your cake and add to it very sweetly that , I wish I could share recipes but they are 'trade secrets'.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:33am
post #28 of 37

The owner who asked for your recipe has A LOT of nerve to make such a request. Your recipes are your livelihood. Never give them away.

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:18am
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

The owner who asked for your recipe has A LOT of nerve to make such a request. Your recipes are your livelihood. Never give them away.

I agree that recipes are the livelihood of a baking business but I don't think there is anything wrong with asking someone or some business for it. That's how business is done every single day, through acquisition. icon_smile.gif Unless I'm being asked at gun point, that's a compliment in my book. icon_lol.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 8:49am
post #30 of 37

You give them the recipe, next thing you hear, is that they won't need your services anymore, because they've found another way to get the cakes baked, which is cheaper for them. If they work at it, or pay (big time) for it, it's another ballgame. To find the right recipe means a lot of work, baking, trying etc, you've done that and found YOUR recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%