Calling All South Dakota Cakers.......hb 1240

Decorating By jjsweetdesign Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm by jjsweetdesign

jjsweetdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjsweetdesign Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 22

Just wanted to let you know that there is a bill (HB1240), introduced in the House this session to establish cottage food laws. If you are a SD resident, please contact your Legislator, and tell them to vote yes! It was just referred to the House Health & Human Services committee yesterday, so it possibly could be heard by that committee yet this week. Here is the website to the SD Legislative Research Council: http://legis.state.sd.us/. I hope to keep you all posted on this issue!
~JJ

21 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 22
jjsweetdesign Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 22

HB 1240 will be heard in the House Health & Human Services committee on Feb. 10, 2011. If you are able to attend the hearing and testify that is great. Otherwise, please email or call your legislators!

jjsweetdesign Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 22

The hearing has been moved until next Tuesday morning at 7:45 am in Pierre. Hope anyone can help contact legislators or show up! Thanks

~JJ

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:59am
post #5 of 22

I ama Pierre resident - well I was until last saturday - I just moved to another town. i will be visiting there this weekend and will spend the next week making as many calls as I can!!!

jjsweetdesign Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:41am
post #6 of 22

That is great! Thanks so much!

jenng1482 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #7 of 22

I just got off the phone with one of the sponsors. I think I will testify in Pierre next Tuesday!

jjsweetdesign Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:59am
post #8 of 22

Great I am going out also. I live at Redfield. See you there bright and early! Muster up some more help! I am new to the state, so I don't have a lot of contacts, but I am working on it! Thanks so much!

~JJ

jjsweetdesign Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 22

Okay so apparently there was some scheduling issues with the Committee, and now the bill is up to be heard on Thursday, or possibly could be next Tuesday. Hope you can still make it Jenn. Thanks.
Jamie

jenng1482 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:26am
post #10 of 22

I have heard next thursday as well. I will not be able to make it. i have spoken with 3 representatives from the health and human services committee who are for it.

jjsweetdesign Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 22

Sounds good!

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:13am
post #12 of 22

I"m emailing!

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 22

House Bill 1240 is scheduled to go before the committee on Thursday, February 17th. Here's the link:
http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2011/Bill.aspx?Bill=1240

jjsweetdesign Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 22

I have been meaning to give an update, but my life has been a bit hectic the last few days! So, I traveled to Pierre at 5am, to testify on this bill. The Dept of Health, offered a friendly amendment that "hoghoused" the bill, but basically accomplished what we wanted. Here is a link to the new version. http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2011/Bill.aspx?File=HB1240HHE.htm It was passed by committee 13-0, what an amazing day and truly worth the effort! Now, it will be heard in a senate committee, it has not been assigned yet, but will keep you posted, as to when & where the next committee hearing will be!

jjsweetdesign Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 8:37pm
post #15 of 22

Another update:
The bill passed the floor of the House 66-0! Yeah!! It now goes to the Senate Health & Human Services Committee next week. I will be traveling again to testify, if anyone else could email senators or travel to testify that would be great!

jjsweetdesign Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 22

Okay after I posted that, I see the bill is scheduled for committee hearing on Monday (2/2icon_cool.gif at 10am! Here is a link to the Senators on that committee if you would please email them, that would be great!
http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2011/CommitteeMembers.aspx?Committee=6 Simply click on their name and a form will pop up to email them. Thanks.

stacyd Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:40am
post #17 of 22

Thanks for the updates and for testifying. I have emailed again! Hope it passes!

jjsweetdesign Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:58am
post #18 of 22

So, the Senate HHS Committee met today, and I testified. It passed 6-0!! yeah! Now it has to pass the Senate floor, which I don't see that being a problem at all. As the the question on the other laws cited in the legislation. It is referring to the farmer's market laws passed in 2010. It reads:

34-18-37. Labeling of baked and canned goods. No baked good or canned good may be sold unless it has a label that includes the following information:

(1) Name of the product;

(2) Producer and contact information;

(3) Date the product was made or processed;

(4) Ingredients; and

(5) Disclaimer. The disclaimer shall state: "This product was not produced in a commercial kitchen. It has been home-processed in a kitchen that may also process common food allergens such as tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, soy, wheat, milk, fish, and crustacean shellfish."

Source: SL 2010, ch 172, § 4.

So all your cakes will have to have this info on it!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:47am
post #19 of 22

Greetings from NJ. Just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best of luck on this bill, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like you need it. icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to hear some good news soon from SD. Wishing you all the best!

jjsweetdesign Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #20 of 22

Thanks for your support Sugar Plum!! Tomorrow is the big day! The bill is up tomorrow on the floor of the Senate for debate. Let's make it unanimous all the way through! Please Please Please email all of the Senators and ask for their support of HB1240!! Here is the link to the Senator's email addresses. http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2011/ChamberMembers.aspx?Committee=29
Thanks.

stacyd Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #21 of 22

any idea the status of this yet?

jjsweetdesign Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 22

Yes, this passed all the way through, and was signed by the Gov! Sorry, I didn't update anything on this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%