Baby Blocks Help!

Decorating By fondantfrenzy1118 Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 9:44pm by Dayti

fondantfrenzy1118 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 6

I am about to make my first baby blocks cakes: four 6x3 cakes that spell B-A-B-Y, the client sent a pic where the "A" is stacked up above the B's. How can I safely achieve this effect when the two B's must be spaced apart? Also, what is the most efficient way to trim the blocks in pink fondant for a mitered edge look, as wooden and painted blocks would look?
icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif any help is appreciatedto reduce my anxiety...the cake is for Saturday!!!

5 replies
dmo4ab Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

I would place the "A" on a sturdy cake board or foamcore and then use dowel rods on the corners/edges of the "B"'s that will support the "A". Probably want to do one longer dowel all the way through each side of the "A" and down through the "B"'s so it would stay in place during transport - if that is required.
Hope this makes sense.

rosa369 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

I would like to see picture of the cake. Good luck!!!

fondantfrenzy1118 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 6

YES! that makes perfect sense! I have to drive it about 30 miles to deliver! Thank you soooo much!

heles Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 6

space the 'B' blocks in a V-shape. Then place the uncoated cake for 'A' block on top of the 'B' blocks and insert your dowel rod through it making sure it touches the cake board. Hope this helps.

Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

In terms of adding the fondant, I would cut out square panels, let dry for a little while, and apply to the sides/top of the cakes. You can always fill in the edges with royal icing coloured to match, and smoothed with a damp finger or paintbrush. Or strips of fondant glued in, in a contrasting colour, or the same colour as the letters on the blocks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%